Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Oxalic Acid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

dantontod

New member
Joined
19 Feb 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Burscough
I applied Oxalic Acid to a sideboard about a week ago to remove water stains (mixed in 1:6 ratio with warm water). I forgot to neutralise it and then sanded, applied white spirits, oiled and waxed. There was no issue with applying the oil and the sideboard looked great. Over the weekend I sold and dropped off the sideboard.

Just this evening I got to thinking about my application and suddenly feel concerned that there could be an issue with providing someone with a surface that had oxalic acid applied, that was not then neutralised.

Any thoughts on this?
 

AJB Temple

Finely figured
UKW Supporter
Joined
13 Oct 2015
Messages
3,327
Reaction score
512
Location
Tunbridge Wells
Oxalic is rather mild. Given the WS and finishing you applied I would not lose any sleep.
 

Arnold9801

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
157
Reaction score
2
Location
Cornwall
We use it pretty extensively in bee keeping where it is quite harmful if inhaled after its vaporised.
 

AJB Temple

Finely figured
UKW Supporter
Joined
13 Oct 2015
Messages
3,327
Reaction score
512
Location
Tunbridge Wells
In bee keeping it is used as one of the methods to control varoa mites. It will not be relevant to you. If you use it in a well ventilated space. Definitely wear eye protection and gloves. You could wear a mask but in diluted form I don't personally notice the fumes. I did an oak door with it at the weekend.
 

ED65

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2015
Messages
3,593
Reaction score
1
dantontod":1pmxcmnz said:
Do you think that's relevant in my situation?
"The dose determines the poison."

Oxalic is toxic, it can actually kill, but despite this there's no need to panic as small quantities aren't harmful. It's just like with cyanide, where a little doesn't harm you. Literally. That characteristic marzipan flavour when you bite into an apple seed? That's prussic acid in old texts, cyanide to you and me. Yes there's cyanide in apple seeds.

The main issue to users of oxalic isn't actually being poisoned, it's just that it's highly irritating to the nose and lungs because the dried crystals are very sharp.
 
Top