Ovolo Router Cutter Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
Another newbie question for them in the know...

I am looking at buying a 1/8" Radius Perform Ovolo cutter (P302011 Perform Ovolo Cutter - D=3/4" - X=3/8" - R=1/8" - S=1/4" at http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22899&recno=4). Can the bearing on these be changed to make the cutter work as a rounding over cutter rather than an ovolo? If so, how do I work out which bearing to buy? If the cut radius is 1/8" and the bit diameter is 3/4" does this mean that I need a 1/2" diameter bearing (i.e. 3/4 - (2 x 1/8"))?

When cutting a rounding over edge using my router table, am I better to use a fence or just to freehand it with a lead pin? If a fence is better do I need the bearing at all?

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan

Give Wealden a call. Their technical department will have the information at their fingertips.

http://www.wealdentool.com/

Wealden Tool Company

Unit 31 Branbridges Industrial Estate, East Peckham, Kent. TN12 5HF

Sales phone 0800 328 4183

Technical & other enquiries 01622 872723

Fax 01622 872725

Email [email protected]

Office hours: 8.00am to 5.00pm Monday – Friday (closed Bank Holidays)

Cheers
Neil

Can the bearing on these be changed to make the cutter work as a rounding over cutter rather than an ovolo?

Yes.

If so, how do I work out which bearing to buy? If the cut radius is 1/8" and the bit diameter is 3/4" does this mean that I need a 1/2" diameter bearing (i.e. 3/4 - (2 x 1/8"))?

3/8" bearings gives the quirk (ovolo).
Use the 1/2" bearing for roundover.

When cutting a rounding over edge using my router table, am I better to use a fence or just to freehand it with a lead pin?

Safer/easier to use the fence for straight edges. I only use the lead pin when following a curve or template.

If a fence is better do I need the bearing at all?

Keeping the bearing on minimises possibility of snipe.

cheers

Ike

Alan,

Of no real help to you but last year Axminster were selling these cutters on offer with both sizes of bearing at no extra cost :) I bought several. :D

The good news is the bearings are not very expensive anyway. 8) Have a look here.

sxlalan":2s70tl4s said:
Thanks guys!

Ike ... what's snipe?

thanks

Alan
Buy planed timber from a timber yard and you will find the end few inches is scalloped making it thinner.
This is known as snipe and is usually caused by the planer knives not being perfectly level with the outfield table although it could be caused by the rollers as well.
In other words its cutter dig in on the end of a cut.

Latest posts

Back