Overwhelmed by DIY to do list!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
The list grows faster than I can cross things of the to-do list, plus I have a full time job, family etc.

How do you guys deal with this scenario in your lives?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

One thing at a time. Decide which thing to do (don't over think - toss a coin if you can't decide quickly) and then do it until it's done!
That's what I keep telling myself anyway.
Actually it does work - brain-off quick start with an almost random choice. You just stop thinking about the other things until it's done.

sammy.se":30itdfog said:
The list grows faster than I can cross things of the to-do list, plus I have a full time job, family etc.

Have more than one list:

Projects YOU want to do.
Projects the other half seems to think are important.
Projects that MUST be done.
Projects that would be nice to do, in that other life - the one where you have time for what you want.
Finally, the list of jobs that will actually, in the real world, get done, because a) you can, and b) you must.

I have about 6 years worth of important projects on the go, and I know full well that half of them will never happen. Still, a man can dream, can't he?

Trainee neophyte":280smn8d said:
sammy.se":280smn8d said:

Have more than one list:

Projects YOU want to do.
Projects the other half seems to think are important.
Projects that MUST be done.
Projects that would be nice to do, in that other life - the one where you have time for what you want.
Finally, the list of jobs that will actually, in the real world, get done, because a) you can, and b) you must.

I have about 6 years worth of important projects on the go, and I know full well that half of them will never happen. Still, a man can dream, can't he?
This sounds like a promising approach!

I do jobs that I think need doing and that I will enjoy doing.
- knocking stuff down
-building stuff

I pay others to do jobs that need doing but I know will drive me mad.
- painting and decorating

I have a list of small easy, quick wins, that I dip into when SWMBO thinks there has been a lack of progress.
- add a socket in a room
- unstick a window/door
- clean the grease of the wall behind the cooker
Stuff I know will get me brownie points.

I also decide in advance how much diy I will do each weekend and communicate that to the good lady. When time is up I stop and do something family.

Overall you need to work out what works for you and the family.

Fitz.

Just starting on this job again. A wardrobe I started for myself 5.5 yrs ago !
3cf806d103eb62f816e437505de45695.jpg
f9a3e9004d5bf7b14bb9541d5f93cb67.jpg

It's been gathering dust for the last half decade lol. It's tough for me finding motivation to do jobs for myself. For customers it's easy peasy. Start the job, finish the job then paint and get paid. Now I've done this it feels like a draughts board has free places to move and I can crack on again. I've got alot of pieces moving around in the workshop and each little finished job feels like a new opportunity to move more pieces around. Keep chipping away at it, even if its tiny bits each day.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do your own jobs you like doing.
Do jobs for others you like doing for cash.
Use the cash to pay others to do the jobs you don't like doing.

Well at least I see that others face similar challenges. I like the idea of doing things on a list I enjoy, but I need to make that list of the things I really must do. Maybe I can alternate between the two lists to keep things interesting (and moving).

Thanks for your suggestions.

One thing that used to work well for me was if I had a finite amount of time I did a small job I didn't like and finished it, rather than fart about doing a part of yet another job I enjoyed but knew I didn't have time to finish. My problem isn't starting things, it's finishing them.

I try to knock out the rubbish jobs first. Gets them out the way and if you put it off its still waiting for you. The other thing I do is try to do something small/positive towards a project every day - even if thats just 5 minutes thinking how I'm going to do it when I get round to it or researching methods etc. Keeps the pot boiling...

Have some 'quick-wins'...you know, the ones that bug you but you keep putting off.

Don't be a perfectionist.

Try and plan your work so once you've picked up a tool, you use it for as many tasks as you can .

Have a 'toolbox' for tools needed for plastering. Another one for decorating. One for electrics. Another for plumbing.

Never buy Screwfix Titan sandpaper.

RogerS":2elxs5a1 said:

Never buy Screwfix Titan sandpaper.

Thanks Roger. I sense that sandpaper advice is borne out of bitter experience.

Taking the advice on the thread, I started a 'thing I want to do' task today. Rejuvenating my garden table so I can relax and have breakie outside. I'm enjoying working on some wood (been doing loads of other DIY lately). This is a nice break.

Got halfway through, and my belt sander belt snapped. Need to buy more belts, oh, and bought a Metabo SXE450 so that I have a proper sanding tool that I can't use for lots of different things. Arrives Thursday :)

Should make the other half of the table easier to do :)

Will finish with some basic teak oil probably.

PS - I read all the advice on this forum about finishing outdoor furniture, will be needed once a year probably, and I've decided I can live with doing that, as a nice set up for the summer months.

d77106bba9203c5e93e7e0dc7ca0e9ad.jpg
0e849143bc156f8ecaa2157387c019e0.jpg
6de1bb95f40297d9b89f2ac362fefdee.jpg

sammy.se":1xkwacj7 said:

By keeping your own and other’s expectations in check.

Currently 6 months into a fitted wardrobe build. About half way there.

Back