Oversizing a tablesaw blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
One possible silver lining to spending hours fettling my table saw is that I noticed the possibility of putting a 12" blade in rather than the 10".

The hole in the table would be big enough. I might have to move the dust collection shroud downwards, but it looks like I could cut a new riving knife to fit.

Is a 3HP motor going to be a limiting issue? Is there something else I should be thinking of?

Deadeye":m7kbskqt said:
Is a 3HP motor going to be a limiting issue? Is there something else I should be thinking of?

Plenty of power in a 3hp motor for a 12" blade.

When the rise and fall mechanism is at it's lowest is the blade an inch under the table? If not, it means your 12" blade may be above the table full time. Not a big deal as you can always use a 10" blade when you don't need the rip capacity and pull out the 12" when you need it.

Teeth will be traveling 20% faster. You can expect it to sound a bit noisier because of increased speed of the teeth through the air and through your timber. Definitely worth a try though :)

Can you post how you get on with that as I have the same saw it's of interest. Never crossed my mind to do that but there are some occasions when more capacity would be useful.

cheers
Bob

Not got a table saw - but why not cut a 12" disc with a centre hole out of thick card and mount it as a blade. Any conflicts due to the increased size should be immediately apparent.

Back