Oversized exterior plywood sheets availability?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasdair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there just wondering if anyone knows of larger than 2.4 x 1.2 sheets of ply. I have a garden nursery and use danish trolleys with adjustable shelves. The ply has rotted but the shelves are an odd size and I would have a huge wastage from standard sheets. The ply for the shelves is 570mm wide but 1275mm long and The ply is thin exterior but doesn;t look like good quality marine. . I can adjust sizes slightly. If I could get a sheet 1.2 x 2.5m I could get 4 out of it as losing 10mm over the length should be ok If not I am going to have a lot of offcuts unless theres another way round it.
Thanks
Alasdair

So far all my local suppliers biggest sheet is 2440 x 1220. Anything larger is a special order and they aren't sure if they can get it and as you pointed out v expensive, more than buying new shelves. The shelves are galvanized steel with plywood base.

Had a look but the delivery to me is more than £150-00. At least I know that they are available. I assume the shelf manufactures just get them made to their size for them. There are millions of these shelves being used.

Could you use slats just as cheap as plywood?

I know a firm which has lots of 100 x 10mm pine waste wood!

No slats I'm afraid the plywood strengthens the shelf. Its odd looking. I found out on line its either 5mm or 6.5mm 5ply medium or heavy duty but looks like the base of a trailer?
1649003630128.png

1649003859265.png

Its pop rivetted to the galvanised side bars

As an alternative you might find a steel stockholder would cut galvanized sheet to size.

I'm surprised at the problems you are having. When in Essex my local timber merchant was Leigh Timber. As with other local timber merchants they do not stock odd stuff but buy it in. It would come from one of there normal suppliers and if prepared to wait for when the next delivery was due in then you would not get stung.

Colin

No slats I'm afraid the plywood strengthens the shelf. Its odd looking. I found out on line its either 5mm or 6.5mm 5ply medium or heavy duty but looks like the base of a trailer?
View attachment 132999
View attachment 133000
Its pop rivetted to the galvanised side bars
I think it’s phonetic ply think that’s how they spell it from Arnold lavers or big ply suppliers

What are the trolleys made of? If they're mild steel, would it be cheaper, ITLR, to have them altered so that modern sheets can be cut to fit?

Trolleys are galvanised steel base on castors with removable uprights. There are millions out there and are normally hired/leased so you give an empty trolly back when a new load of plants arrives. They are security marked and have a security padlock for identification etc. I have a few which I bought years ago which I own but adapting them is not an option as they are designed to take a certain type of plant tray. Will look up phonetic ply and see what I can come up with.

Trolleys are galvanised steel base on castors with removable uprights. There are millions out there and are normally hired/leased so you give an empty trolly back when a new load of plants arrives. They are security marked and have a security padlock for identification etc. I have a few which I bought years ago which I own but adapting them is not an option as they are designed to take a certain type of plant tray. Will look up phonetic ply and see what I can come up with.

I reckon the cost of the ply would be more than buying new shelves at the moment. I know exterior ply is expensive but the phenolic ply is another ball game. I will keep looking and see if I can work something out. You do get plastic shelves as well but at £40-00 per shelf and I need 20 minimum !!!. As for carriage its a nightmare. Free UK mainland on so many websites then we get hit with a huge surcharge. Basicly anything north of edinburgh its classed as an island.

It looks like phonoelic ply , the faces are tough grid textured plastic. I've never seen it in thin sheets but 3 x 1.5 m sheets are used for trailer bases at 18 mm thick and are available fairly readily and only proportionately expensive. A phone round your local outlets should get you an ok price, often the smaller cheaper guys don't have an online presence.

Back