Oversize drawers...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't you just love it when a project just goes along without a hitch? Personally I wouldn't know:
Img_0004Rcd.jpg

The last of 4 drawers for a bench and I can't tell the difference between 642mm and 682mm. Better too big than too small, I guess.
Quick alteration on the TS, a swift butt joint and all's well.
I do measure twice, sometimes more, just canny read tape measures...

Noel

Noel, do you find reading metric on a tape measure harder than reading Imperial, or was you brought up on metric?

I find metric harder to read, got to find my reading glasses in metric

Oh BTW what you facing those draws with ?

Hi Noel

I know just how you feel. The good news is that they're oversize. :D

When I was making the final base unit in a run, I ended up with it 36mm too wide because I'd forgotten to take off the width of the ply sides. :oops:

Cheers
Neil

I have forgotten to allow extra length for tenons a couple of times. Probalbly why I like loose tenons!!

John

I've done that :)

and if its the width (which I always make oversized) I run the sides over the Planer, (haven't tried it through the thicknesser though) :wink:

Glad I'm not the only one that does it.

The last 2 jobs that I've done something has been to big due to changing joints. So I've had to very carefully cut the end off wihth a japanesse pull saw (I have more success cutting a straight line with those) and rejoin it.

Cheers Donald

All my work is perfect.
None of my joints ever have gaps.
My grain patterns match harmoniously all the time.
All components fit.
All my proportions are beautiful.
My articles never get edited.
It's 4am and there are another 3 hours before I have to wake up.

Nice to know we can all make silly mistakes.
As shop time was scarce this week I'd been doing one drawer every evening, hence didn't notice the over size one until trying to slide it in.
Hi SP, always use metric tape measures. Simply can't get on with 1/8ths and 1/16ths, not to mention 1/32ths. But I suppose it doesn't matter what you use as long as you can read the tape...
Drawers will be faced with more of the locally supplied crappy 12mm ply. The type that's full of voids and covered in badly applied filler. Although one side is sometimes just about presentable. It's good enough and cheap enough for my needs.

Noel

Johnboy":ez88b6zq said:
I have forgotten to allow extra length for tenons a couple of times. Probalbly why I like loose tenons!!

John
Ha...glad I've never done that! Not true, which is why loose tenons are at least a great wat to save that problem. Now if I just planned it that way from the beginning at those times, just what mistake would I have made :lol:

Noel,

Glad to see you got it sorted out. Better than the time I read the tape wrong and cut all the drawer parts too small...

Take care,

Noel":1xz51b83 said:
...always use metric tape measures. Simply can't get on with 1/8ths and 1/16ths, not to mention 1/32ths.

Noel

I agree. I was thinking the exact same thing when I entered this topic. We live in a metric world now, with the exception of sawn timber and older tools. How would you thickness a piece of timber down to 1/16" on a modern (METRIC-scaled) thicknesser?
And then you go into the world of how the basic imperial-to-metric conversion doesn't work. For ever inch, you lose .4mm, and so on.

Noel, it's a brave man who's prepared to post a photo like that!

We've all done it, we've all sworn to never do it again, and we all know full d@mn well that we'll make exactly the same dumb mistake again before too long.
Except Steve, of course.

Gill

Nice save Noel. I always DT drawers and so had to make a new one, err, would have to make a new one :oops:

Good job on getting it fixed - its fixing mistakes so there not mistakes anymore that makes a good woodworker!

Personaly, I always end up in trouble because I mix both imperial and metric as i've grown up with both - I need to learn to stick to one o t'other. :lol:

Back