Overheard at Tools 2004

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
My favorite quotes from Saturday were.............

"Go on-pick it up..........."
Thom Lie-Nielsen (Tool-pimp :roll: )

"No Philly-you can't take the blade out for a look"
The talented Mr Charlesworth

"Alf is a woman!!!!!!"
Un-named members of this forum :wink:

"All they are interested in is programs like bl**dy Property Ladder!"
David Free (Star of Great British Workshop on why there is no second series on Discovery........)

"You're The Philly?"
Aldel (spoken with amazement/disgust/respect :lol: )

"Well you know what they say-A man and his money......."
A subtle Rob Cosman (On my telling him I have bought products NOT from Lie-Nielsen :roll: )

Overall I had a great day-pictures to follow.....

How about your best quotes?

The Philly :D

Unknown members of this forum":2bfb5wnx said:
"Alf is a woman!!!!!!"
Ah, there's no fooling some people...
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

I didn't recognise anyone here :oops: :oops:

Mind you it was very busy, and i dont know what people look like so it is a bit hard :oops:

You'll never guess.....i managed to get a JET JWBS14 Bandsaw AND an Elektra Beckum P/T in the back of a Vitari Jeep :shock: :lol: only just lol

Ta, Tom

ps. My first experience of Tools 2004 was great :D:D

I joined a chap in the restaurant where there was the only spare seat to drink my tea (these diets are difficult).
He saw my Woodrat badge and said "I have just bought one of those, are they any good?" yes I replied. He went on to say he was a bricklayer and fancied 'having a go' at woodwork for the winter evenings. In the course of conversation he showed me a Leigh catalog and said he had bought one with the extra templates "are they any good?" yes I said.
He had a couple of bulging bags with him and explained that he had purchased some of those plane things that he liked the look of and would I like to see? Yes I said. Two LN planes, a LN block plane, a LN spokeshave and some LN chisels. "Are they any good?" Oh yes, I said very good. He continued to tell me he had masses of oak boards at home and what could he make? Politely, through gritted teeth I replied "anything", "anything you wish", bade him farewell and left.

Just another enjoyable woodworking chat.
some more Tools 2004 photos on my webpage

Aldel :shock: www.aldel.co.uk

Well done, Tom.

That's a nice haul - you're going to have some fun now! 8) :wink:

Which room are you taking over to install them in - and have you told anybody yet? :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev...I was thinking in the living room...thats where they are now....but family seem to think they are going down in the WS :shock: dunno where they got that crazy idea from :p :wink:

They a bloody heavy as well...i dont fancy taking them down a staircase into the :wink: basement :lol:

Ta, Tom

Tom,

I did wonder, 'cos of the weight. Blimey, if you're going to use them in the living room - have you got an extractor? You'll have to make some nice pieces for the house to get away with that. :roll:

Come on then, own up - who was it who joined aldel for a cuppa?

Cheers,

Trev.

aldel":2a7k61rz said:
He went on to say he was a bricklayer
Crumbs, I didn't know bricklaying paid so well. Maybe a change of career path is called for...
whistling.gif

I had a brief convo over the Veritas planes with a nice chap who was buying a low angle block and medium shoulder IIRC. He casually mentioned he'd been given* a Stanley 608. Obviously I managed to conceal the green tinge that came over me remarkably well, 'cos he patiently explained that was a Bedrock and how the frog differed from a Bailey. I was really good and only whimpered a little bit.
cry.gif
laugh.gif

Not overheard at the show, but rather me being overheard at our hotel. "I wonder what would happen if I asked everyone in this dining room to raise their hand if they're going to the show?" "We are" came the response, and we had a nice natter with a couple from Farnham (Hants) - he's a pro cabinetmaker and doing very well. He had some pics of his work, including a lovely semicircular bench. Apparently the client originally wanted it in teak, but the quote for the timber alone changed their mind. £10,000!
eek.gif
Later eavesdropping confirmed that every guest there really was a woodworker or long-suffering SWMBO. Too bad there weren't en suite workshops...

Tom, what would you have done if they hadn't fitted in? Walked home?
wink.gif
Nice haul.

Cheers, Alf

*At least I think it was a gift. After the magic number "608" my brain fused for a while...

Aha, some more photo's for your delectation............

TOOLS2004CHARLEY.jpg

First off, our esteemed host, Charley, getting his hand in.

TOOLS2004CHARLEYTLN.jpg

And as you can see, slipping on down that slope, helped by the deviously nice Thom Lie-Nielsen.

TOOLS2004DAVIDFREE.jpg

Spent a while chatting with "Great British Workshop" star David Free. He's a thoroughly nice chap and really down to earth. (Not a big fan of Discovery though......... :twisted: )

TOOLS2004DC2.jpg

We spent a while picking the brains of the "Font of all Knowledge" David Charlesworth. Sharpening, back bevels, you name it-we asked it! He even let us play with his delightfully tuned up planes, too! Many thanks Mr C for your time and being such a good egg! :D

TOOLS2004DC1.jpg

Also saw this work by Mr C-a beautiful rosewood table, complete with shavings likeness of the man himself. :lol:

TOOLS2004PHILTLN.jpg

And finally, The Dark Tool Lord Himself, cackling as he speeds me off down the slope........ :lol:

Once again, I want to say thanks to all the good folk at the show who kind enough to take the time to answer my (nerdlike) questions or just have a chat.
See you all next year,
The Philly :D

Alf
You know what it's like-the bench dogs fit all the holes, but not all of them tightly. Got sick of loose dogs so a full set it was.
(I use bits of old hacksaw blades as springs to hold them in position-tight git tip of the week :roll: )
cheers
Philly :D

Philly":2u0wrsyx said:
I use bits of old hacksaw blades as springs to hold them in position-tight git tip of the week :roll:
Nice. I stumped up the pennies for a couple of small ball catches. The last of the big spenders.
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back