Overcooked Tazza

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
So the challenge was a Tazza.

Who was the wise-buttocks who thought he could grab a bit of green walnut crotch and spin out a simple but acceptable Tazza, then?

That would be me. Oh, how I cried then laughed as it reformed in front of my eyes - take a look now it's finished drying;

Tazza.jpg

Clearly beyond saving as a Tazza, even for the most runny fudge cake imaginable!

So once you've stopped laughing, any ideas what I could do with it? (polite answers, only, please!

Greg

I quite like it.

I would clean up the outer lines as they look a bit bumpy then apply a finish. I will do as a place to put keys or turn true the center enough so its flat and place a vase on or a wide glass bowl for potpourri .

Alan,

Thank you - I quite like it too - just not as a flat, smooth cake stand!!

I like your suggestion, too. Only problem is that the chucking foot is off its face, too - Kinda egg-shaped, so not sure how to get it round and back on the lathe - any thoughts?

Cheers,

Greg

Put it between centres on a slow speed and re-turn the chucking foot. Whether you can flatten the top will depend on how warped it is. May be better turning a bowl out of the centre and sanding back the rest so you have a more 'artistic' but still functional bowl.

Pete

I'd do partly what Pete suggests...
Turn it between centres (slowly) but just to hollow out the bowl part a bit so it will hold something.
You'd need to leave a spigot in the bowl obviously.
I would not flatten the rim at all and leave it warped as a feature, just sanding it smooth off the lathe.

I've actually got a similar "problem" with a matching pair of oval bowls that didn't dry as I'd intended. :)

Looks like it will sit on the current base fine, I would glue a chucking block on the base (doesn't need to be dead centre) then chuck it and turn a small bowl/indentation in the top - sort of platter'ish. I wouldn't touch the rim etc at all.

Just mother natures way of reminding you there are no straight lines in nature :twisted: and a good example of why, when i do the 'challenge' pieces, I try to turn, finish and photograph on the same day :oops: just to be on the safe side :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts and advice, guys.

I'll give it a go and post up the results....

After these freaking matching candlesticks!! (though I am halfway there - I've got one matching one so far :lol:

Cheers,

Greg

Latest posts

Back