Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Overcooked Tazza

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
So the challenge was a Tazza.

Who was the wise-buttocks who thought he could grab a bit of green walnut crotch and spin out a simple but acceptable Tazza, then?

That would be me. Oh, how I cried then laughed as it reformed in front of my eyes - take a look now it's finished drying;

Clearly beyond saving as a Tazza, even for the most runny fudge cake imaginable!

So once you've stopped laughing, any ideas what I could do with it? (polite answers, only, please!

Greg

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I quite like it.

I would clean up the outer lines as they look a bit bumpy then apply a finish. I will do as a place to put keys or turn true the center enough so its flat and place a vase on or a wide glass bowl for potpourri .

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Alan,

Thank you - I quite like it too - just not as a flat, smooth cake stand!!

I like your suggestion, too. Only problem is that the chucking foot is off its face, too - Kinda egg-shaped, so not sure how to get it round and back on the lathe - any thoughts?

Cheers,

Greg

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Put it between centres on a slow speed and re-turn the chucking foot. Whether you can flatten the top will depend on how warped it is. May be better turning a bowl out of the centre and sanding back the rest so you have a more 'artistic' but still functional bowl.

Pete

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd do partly what Pete suggests...
Turn it between centres (slowly) but just to hollow out the bowl part a bit so it will hold something.
You'd need to leave a spigot in the bowl obviously.
I would not flatten the rim at all and leave it warped as a feature, just sanding it smooth off the lathe.

I've actually got a similar "problem" with a matching pair of oval bowls that didn't dry as I'd intended. :)

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like it will sit on the current base fine, I would glue a chucking block on the base (doesn't need to be dead centre) then chuck it and turn a small bowl/indentation in the top - sort of platter'ish. I wouldn't touch the rim etc at all.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Just mother natures way of reminding you there are no straight lines in nature :twisted: and a good example of why, when i do the 'challenge' pieces, I try to turn, finish and photograph on the same day :oops: just to be on the safe side :wink:

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and advice, guys.

I'll give it a go and post up the results....

After these freaking matching candlesticks!! (though I am halfway there - I've got one matching one so far :lol:

Cheers,

Greg