Oven Heater Element

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
Got in earlier, switched on the oven, kettle, washing machine etc all around the same time and a few minutes later a fuse went.

Flipped it back on, everything seems to be working fine until I realised my lunch was still lukewarm in the oven 20 minutes later.

Fan is spinning fine, grill element works okay so by process of elimination it's the fan element. I've had a look online and a genuine 2000w replacement is about £30 but there's a few other generic options and elements from other models that look almost identical for half the price but perhaps the connectors aren't in the exact right place? I know fixing it is an easy job so prepared to do it myself.

Am I better off getting a genuine part or is a heating element a heating element assuming the wattage is right?

Last edited:
My element went in the oven recently. Luckily it could be changed from inside the oven without having to pull thewhole thing out. 5 minute job. Not sure they are all like that though.

Only had to do it once but I went for a genuine part - as you say, connectors etc might not be quite right.

Incidentally, the element got changed from inside the oven (great) but you still had to get round the back to undo/do up the retaining bolts (doh)

Generic ones are OK, put one in our oven about 5 years ago as it blew just before Xmas and the only place that would send one out in time was a place in Liverpool selling via ebay. Iirc it was £12 all in and still going well (sshhh, it'll hear me :oops:)

I have put in cheap elements which have lasted and branded ones which have failed and vice versa. If there is a big difference in price I would go for the clone. If you are paying someone to do it the extra of the branded one is probably not much in % terms. The different suppliers I have used usually have all had a reliable recomendation based on the model and serial number.

It's nice when you can do it from the front and a pain when you have to take the oven out undo all the little screws, there are usually dozens of them and also some inside the oven and get covered in burnt fat inside the back cover. I normally end up with a screw short for the number of holes.

I fail to understand why components that fail are not designed to be accessible. Our oven element was easily replaced, but the grill element meant the double oven needed to come out.

They have obviously been learning lessons from car manufacturers where changing a headlight bulb sometimes requires a large part of the front of the car to be dismantled

I got so far as buying a replacement fan oven element for a previous appliance then giving up on the job when I found that it couldn't be changed from inside only.
Neff built in fan ovens need the element to be changed from inside the oven but there are securing screws from the back as well so the oven has to come out.

Aargh yes - changing the front bulbs on my econo Skoda - otherwise a fine car

but back to the oven elements - previous oven was an ancient downmarket product -no probs in a long life. -- New kitchen, fancy hob and ovens -- smeg -- about one week after guarantee ran out - element blew, very pricey to replace, controls started to play up (controls look well but very counter-intuitive) - still have it but it's cost us -- not impressed

Last edited:
Back