Oven blown!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
My double oven has bit the dust...to replace it looks impossible as a replacement model only has larger dimensions which will not fit into the cabinet!! M
...may have to go for a mini oven for now.

Is the oven dust or has something like the element, fan or thermostat blown? If one of the latter then they are replaceable.

If the body is in good condition, everything else can be fixed relatively cheaply. Elements and thermostats and gaskets are designed to be easily replaced on domestic ovens.

Define in detail "blown" and its quite possible i can help repair it.

Agreed re the above. An previous oven of mine needed a new element. At approx £60, it wasn't cheap, but a lot cheaper and easier than a new oven.

Our old oven packed in working and I thought if I'm going to chuck it out I may as well see if I can fix it. Started by taking the element out and straight away could see the element had indeed blown, went to a small local appliance repair shop and got a replacement element for about a tenner. Put that in and it lasted a couple of years until we replaced the kitchen and bought a built in oven.
So no harm in having a look, if it's already broke you can't really break it (hammer) :wink: .

What's actually wrong with it, and which brand is it (please don't say "Neff" - it has the wrong vowel!)? Does it have a 13A plug or is it wired into a cooker outlet? Did it blow a fuse when it died (or trip an MCB), or just stop heating? Did it blow an RCD ("Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker", as-was), and if neither, do the controls still look like they might work (does the clock light up)?

As others have said above, they are usually _very_ simple electrically, although sometimes the elements can be awkward to get at. Basically the elements that look like old-style cooker rings (tubes bent into curvy shapes) can be quickly and cheaply replaced, as can things like thermostats (even more quickly, usually). Our N*ff one has the other elements as part of the structure, so if one of those goes, the whole thing is toast*, but both of the ovens have browning/grilling elements at the top, which are a quick job to replace.

If you don't want to do it because of lack of electrickery knowlege, any sparks will probably appreciate having it sitting out on a workmate or similar to make access easier. It's how I've worked on ours in the past - slide it out onto a workmate, fix it, put it back. You can also do simple tests with a meter, to find the damaged bits.

E.

PS: the wiring is often a bit fragile, so if you do remove it, be careful of wires stuck to the inside of removable panels, and of the fibreglass insulation usually used around the oven chambers.

*see wot I did there?

Latest posts

Back