Oval steel offcuts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@J-G You are quite correct, elliptical is what I want, ...
But what makes you think that elliptical bar stock would be available?
Rorschach said:
...but I don't think most people think of oval as being egg shaped.
Why not? The clue is in the name 'Oval' > Ovum / Ovalis / Ovary = Egg
I suspect that most people who 'think' really do consider 'Oval' to be Egg-shaped.
Rorschach said:
...One of those instances where the commonly accepted definition is different from the official.
That doesn't mean that the myth should be accepted, perpetuated and left uncorrected! It's simply idle using an easily spelled four letter word rather than a more challenging (spelling) 10 letter word.

Circular bar and slice at an angle
I ought to have suggested that !! :mad: D'oh!

Only problem is that the edges would not be perpendicular to the faces but that may not be a problem depending upon the specific application.

Last edited:
But what makes you think that elliptical bar stock would be available?

Why not? The clue is in the name 'Oval' > Ovum / Ovalis / Ovary = Egg
I suspect that most people who 'think' really do consider 'Oval' to be Egg-shaped.

That doesn't mean that the myth should be accepted, perpetuated and left uncorrected! It's simply idle using an easily spelled four letter word rather than a more challenging (spelling) 10 letter word.

It is available, see pic below.

I'll bet if you ask 99+% of people to draw an oval they will not draw an egg shape, at least not intentionally! lol.
Oh and wikipedia seems to say an egg is oval, but an oval is not always egg shaped.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oval
1629034540789.png

Circular bar and slice at an angle

Great idea, except as noted in the post below yours the sides are not perpendicular to the face. If I had to I could grind by eye to fix that, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Oh and wikipedia seems to say an egg is oval, but an oval is not always egg shaped.
It also says :
" a plane curve should resemble the outline of an egg or an ellipse" which is inaccurate. -- It ought to say 'but not an Ellipse'
... and :
" The term "ellipse" is often used interchangibly with oval, despite not being a precise synonym"
.. which also has the word - interchangeably - incorrectly spelled.

I can't decipher the web address in your image sufficiently to find the appropriate page - www.globalsources.com/steeldisco and /steeldesco both return a 'page not found'. I've also tried /steeldiscorectangle which might have been what was meant but that would actually be the 'Oval tube' or, more precisely, 'Stadium' shape.

Last edited:
You would be well within your rights so to do and you may wish to point them to the Oxford Dictionary definition which correctly makes no reference to a Mathematical/Conic section.

As you can tell, I have a 'thing' about the Ellipse - it is 'special', just as the Reuleaux Polygons are.

You would be well within your rights so to do and you may wish to point them to the Oxford Dictionary definition which correctly makes no reference to a Mathematical/Conic section.

As you can tell, I have a 'thing' about the Ellipse - it is 'special', just as the Reuleaux Polygons are.

You're welcome to have a thing about it, appears your thing might be wrong though. Don't worry, there's lots of people out there that have a thing about something that is wrong, I mean look at religions, loads of them, can't all be right ;)

For now I will continue to refer to ellipses as ovals :)

Opinions can be wrong - facts can't.

I don't have an opinion that an Ellipse is not an oval - it simply isn't - by definition, it's a FACT !

Incidentally,you still haven't provided a working link to the elliptical steel stock. I would like to update my knowledge.

I've had a quick look and can't find anywhere that stocks it - oval or elliptical, whatever you want to call it. There's half profile for handrails and sellers on Alibaba that'll sell you 2 tons of it, but no one selling cut bars in the UK! I'm assuming you're looking to make a template for a bearing guided router? Thinking on it, if it was me I'd scribe it on a piece of aluminium plate, bandsaw it out and sand to the line. If you have access to a vertical metal bandsaw and a linisher you could do the same in steel.

I presume the offcuts are going to be fairly short so how about thin walled steel tube and squash it in the vice a bit till it’s oval or even egg-shaped depending on your individual proclivities. Ian

I don't have an opinion that an Ellipse is not an oval - it simply isn't - by definition, it's a FACT !

I’d have to disagree, not even ‘facts’ in language are immutable. As has been said a common usage of a word can become correct even if it’s not exactly what the word originally meant.
(‘Naughty’ meant ‘having nothing’, ‘silly’ meant ‘blessed’)
Words can end up meaning the exact opposite of their ‘factual’ meaning, so using ‘oval’ for something ‘ovoid-ish’ maybe isn’t the end of the world?

I’d also disagree that ‘most people’ would mean egg-shaped if they said oval. For instance if you image search the word oval, you get lot more ellipses than egg shapes.

I wouldn’t have posted, but you are in my opinion being a little heavier-handed than is necessary

Well it seems I can find more definitions that state an ellipse is oval, than isn't. 🤷‍♂️
So you can say it all you like, but it would appear you are wrong. Sorry.

Back