Oval steel offcuts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Any ideas where I might find some oval steel offcuts?

I can find a small selection of oval section bars online of course but I am rather stumped as to where I might find some little offcuts. Anyone know which industries might use oval stock so I can ask? Looking for pieces around 1/2" to 1" on the widest part, 1" long would be plenty. I have some repetitive oval shaped parts to make in wood and plastic and I thought attaching them to a steel "template" would make my job a lot easier.

OK bu could you not make your template from ally instead of steel ?:unsure::)

I could but I have used aly templates in the past and they are not as durable as steel for long term use. Great for a one off job but not for dozens, maybe even hundreds.

If you only need a few, and can provide a drawing, I might be able to cnc some for you.

Depends how thick your wood and plastic parts are of course but if you’re making that many I think the way to go is a shaped cutter and stamp them out, perhaps. Ian

Sounds like you need them machined to me.

I was hoping for off the shelf, you can buy steel bar in oval shapes, I was just looking for potential sources of off cuts as I don't need a whole bar. I was hoping someone might know an industry that uses oval stock I could contact, they obviously make it for someone but I don't know who.

Thick or Thin ? - Fat Belly or Slim Belly ? = Slightly Oval or Very Oval ? - If you make your own out of the exact grade of steel you prefer; to the design required, you will end up with what you want - instead of settling for something that "will do" !

Thick or Thin ? - Fat Belly or Slim Belly ? = Slightly Oval or Very Oval ? - If you make your own out of the exact grade of steel you prefer; to the design required, you will end up with what you want - instead of settling for something that "will do" !

Will do is fine, the shape isn't critical, it's aesthetic rather than functional.

I have no idea how you came to think that there would be 'Oval' bar stock available. First 'Oval' means 'Egg shaped' (the radius at each end is different) and I suspect that what you really want is 'Elliptical' ie. the conic section.

Steel Stock Holders / Rolling Mills have enough difficulty carrying Round stock in single mm increments never mind then thinking about what eccentricity is likely to be useful/popular.

You can find a reference (incorrect) to 'Oval Tube' by some stockholders but that is flat sided tube with an equal radius on each end.

Here is a graphic explanation in case you are in any doubt.
'Oval'.png

@J-G You are quite correct, elliptical is what I want, but I don't think most people think of oval as being egg shaped. One of those instances where the commonly accepted definition is different from the official.

Latest posts

Back