Outside lavatory - possibly one for Dr Bob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
We may open our garden to the National Garden Scheme next year. (at their request and it's been approved). It is not necessary to provide toilet facilities, but in order to avoid awkward refusals (house and outbuildings all out of bounds) I am considering a chemical one or ground compost one in a purpose built hut - which I will build obviously.

Has anyone done this? (loo - not NGS) I see in Dr Bob's pics of his field in the "setter's day post" there is a small hut that can only be a lav?

I don't want to splash the cash on this as frankly I can hang on long enough to get into the house myself. Plus I have a favourite tree (which is a dead cherry.

Adrian

Bob Flowerdew, on the R4 garden program advocates peeing on compost.

You may take the P but I am a tree planter not a tree killer. This is a serious thread about dealing with people who are desperate. A garden loo is a serious project!

I like the thinking, open the garden and get free fertiliser :LOL:

I expect you've got plenty of ideas by now but a quick search for 'treebog' will show some good examples.

Well, I'm in a completely different scenario to yours... Moved into a house last year that needs a fair bit of work including off mains sewerage. A lot of research has led me to the plan of installing a compost loo INSIDE the house, let alone outdoors! It's a simple pee and poo in a bucket affair, compost for 2 years + (making sure it has reached temperature etc) then used on the garden.

Really cheap - a box, toilet seat, and some large buckets, plus a compost bin or three. And a good supply of saw dust or similar.

If it sounds appealing (well, as appealing as something of this nature can sound!) check out Humanure and Joseph Jenkins. Tonnes of great information. It's a subject I've got quite into!

Back