Outfeed Roller Replacement or Repair? Elektra Beckum HC333

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDRiley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a second hand Elektra Beckum HC333 P/T in fine working order - apart from the rubber coating on the outfeed roller has disintegrated. I have tried to source a replacement part through a number of suppliers (MTMC, Power Tool Centre) but both say the part is discontinued and not available. After a bit of research I found that the Metabo ADH310 is very similar to the HC333 so enquired about whether an outfeed roller from that would work. MTMC contacted Metabo and was told no.

I therefore have a P/T with plenty of life left in it which works great as a P but not as a T!

Does anyone have any other ideas about (a) where else I could try to source a replacement outfeed roller or (b) know of anyone who provides a refurb service on this kind of thing? It would be a shame to scrap the whole machine for want of a c.3mm rubber sleeve on the otherwise perfectly good shaft of the roller!

Many thanks

This may (probably) be a stupid question...but...does it have to be rubber-faced?

If the roller is also on springs, then the rubber is mostly for grip.
My P/T has a plain steel outfeed roller; works fine.
Just a thought.

What I would try as a last resort would be to get a cycle inner tube. Cut it in lengths ,open it up and roll it around the metal roller without overlapping and fix with glue Keep adding layers keeping the joins in different places until you have a diameter about the correct size. I would then purchase a length of heat shrink sleeve a little larger than your finished diameterand shrink in place.
I would certainly not scrap the planer :shock: :shock:
Alan

there is a firm in south of Londinium....Surrey, I think......
they coated an 18" inch outfeed roller for my old Wadkin planner.......
they trade as print roller repairers/restorers.....it is now a very diff to find a place to do this.....I think at the time there was only 2, the other one was in Scotland....
an excellent company.....sorry lost the details as have moved twice in the last few years and my paperwork is a mess.......
BUT.....
the process is they cut off the old rubber or machine off the grooves (on metal rollers, this was my problem)
the new rubber laid on (guess melted ???) then is harden'd and then remachined (turned to what ever size you want)......
I had WHITE rubber because I was doing a lot of work in light Oak, Beech and Ash......and didn't want black....
From memory it was about £100.....
I delivered it personally and got it courier'd home to France......

They have a full engineers machine shop, old fashioned and perfek.....
hope this helps.....

Many thanks to everyone who has replied so far. There are some really helpful suggestions there. I am going to try the reconditioning route first but if that doesn't work I have a bag of old inner tubes in the shed so will give Alan's suggestion a go! Will report back if I find anything useful.

Mr. Riley
please don't bother with the inner tube cock up....
when it all goes wrong it'll wreck that special peice of wood ur needing and u'll still have to do the repairs properly anyway....
spend ur money, then enjoy the experience of a decent WORKING machine.....
over the years I've tried to cheat on cost and save some time but 90% of the time it'll come back to bite u on the bottom.........
and ALWAYS when u dont have the time....
ask me how I know.....

So, there is some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that following the helpful suggestions above I tracked down a firm in South Wales who recovered my outfeed roller with rubber. By the time I'd posted it to them, paid for recover and postage back it cost just under £100. I was pretty impressed with the service - all quite straightforward, responsive and painless - would definitely recommend - AMC Rollers | Rubber Roller Manufacturer | Polyurethane Mouldings

The only caveat is that I have not been able to use the new roller so haven't tested it (it looks good and I have no reason to supsect it would not work fine). That's because of the bad news!

Due to catastrophic operator error (details of which I'm too embarressed to share!) a couple of the (plastic) drive wheels are now missing large sections of teeth. I am therefore now looking for a pair of spare drive wheels for the P/T. They are not available as spares from the usual places (for the same reason I was struggling to get a spare outfeed roller in the first place - the machine is long since discontinued).

Unless anyone has any bright ideas (I've tried gluing the broken pieces back on with epoxy but it failed first time the machine was switched on) I guess my last hope is to find a machine someone is selling for spares. No success so far but if anyone has any thoughts on that score they would be much appreciated. I'm also going to start a separte thread for that.

Unless anyone has any bright ideas (I've tried gluing the broken pieces back on with epoxy but it failed first time the machine was switched on) I guess my last hope is to find a machine someone is selling for spares. No success so far but if anyone has any thoughts on that score they would be much appreciated. I'm also going to start a separte thread for that.

If you could measure the outer diameters and bores you MAY be able to find some matches here, perhaps even in steel: Spur Gears

If you could glue the pieces back together again and they are close close to the original sizes then you could try to cast a mould ( probably not silicon as its a bit wobbly) of the gears. Remove the mould and then cast the gears using either resin or something tougher.
Al

I was going to post exactly the same enquiry, so many thanks for the lead on AMC rollers. I've asked them if they want to do another one.

Those drive wheels are deceptive, they look like metal, but they aren't. I don't think you'd get way with 3D-printing them, at least not with a normal DIY printer. The only thing I can suggest is that a decent engineering shop should be able to fabricate them for you - at a cost unfortunately. If they have a laser cutter maybe get a small batch - you won't be the only one needing spares :)

It's a real shame these have gone obsolete, they are a nice unit for a small workshop. Mine has done well over a decade - until I cooked the roller!

I was going to post exactly the same enquiry, so many thanks for the lead on AMC rollers. I've asked them if they want to do another one.

Those drive wheels are deceptive, they look like metal, but they aren't. I don't think you'd get way with 3D-printing them, at least not with a normal DIY printer. The only thing I can suggest is that a decent engineering shop should be able to fabricate them for you - at a cost unfortunately. If they have a laser cutter maybe get a small batch - you won't be the only one needing spares :)

It's a real shame these have gone obsolete, they are a nice unit for a small workshop. Mine has done well over a decade - until I cooked the roller!

Hi Oddbod, I've bitten the bullet and am buying a new (second hand) P/T. I therefore have an unused recovered outfeed roller which I could do you a deal on if you haven't already sent yours to AMC?! That also goes for any other HC333 spares for that matter as everything else works great apart from the drive gears.

From what I've found online, the Metabo HC333 is identical to the Elektra Beckum HC333. Metabo made both models before it stopped marketing the EB brand.

Here is a source of parts for the Metabo HC333 that might be useful to you. I've never used this source, so I can't vouch for it:

https://www.ersatzteileonline.de/metabo/hc-333-g-2-50-wnb/v3?lang=en

Thanks Mike. Unfortuantely, as I've posted elsewhere there are plenty of suppliers in the UK (and Germany) who have websites claiming to hold these spares but none of them ever do when you enquire further and/or palce orders and pay your money. It seems to me (maybe I'm wrong) that they all try to source any orders for these components direct from EB/Metabo rather than hold them themselves. It appears that EB/Metabo have none left hence none of the suppliers can deliver.

Hi ND, Oh heck, I’ve already agreed with Adam to send the roller down to him for a refurb. However Im pretty sure your roller and the other bits wont hang about for long.

I must admit I did think about changing, but tbh its a just a great machine for what I want to do. I must have run a few km through it by now, IPE, balau, oak and (within its limits) its coped fine. And I can even move it!

I was dimensioning a load of oak I felled and planked a few years ago and just pushed it a little too hard. That rubber roller isn‘t quite up to running stuff through it continuously for an hour or two - lesson learned.

ill report back on how the refurb roller works a couple of weeks.

Back