outdoor structure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to add a lean-to pagoda to the side of the house. It will come out approx 4ft. The posts will be above ground in some form of shoe (yet to be decided), so will not rot off at ground level like fence posts tend to.

What timber should I be using?
If I buy treated sawn, it looks rough stuff. if I put it through the thicknesser, I assume that the treatment won't be that deep and I will lose the benefit.
will anywhere still dip untreated timber if I plane it and cut it to size first, although logistics is an issue with that option.
if I use untreated, will either a barn paint or a linseed paint offer suitable protection from the weather? I want to grow some plants up the posts and in time they will spread across the top. repainting could be an issue.

I dont have the budget for cedar or oak. I am not sure that oak would suit the house in any case... lipstick on a pig!

I did a bunch of reading on cladding timbers for my shed build and came to the decision of local sawn larch. It’s semi durable, which seems to mean if you keep it well drained it’ll last ok. It’s also way cheaper than any of the durable timbers, oak, cedar, sweet chestnut etc.

Not sure if you cam get it in the sizes required for a structure though.

Fitz.

it is worth a look. I should have said, I am planning on using some 47x150mm and some 95x100mm posts. The timber sizing is based on what seems to look right on pictures rather than strength requirements.

Do you mean pergola?
a pagoda has side walls, a pergola is just supports and a roof.

Check out my link for the pergola I put on my house, the floor brackets keep the wood well clear, and i used just planed wood, but paint it every other year.
Bearing in mind how harsh our sun and rain is, its holding up very well.
https://pbase.com/john_cooper/bob_coopers_pergola_extn

Mark, I have over a ton of pressure treated timber in a massive verandah roof, similar in construction to a pergola. My experience (repairs) is that the treatment has penetrated deeply, the wood, with care, planes and finishes well. Above ground surface, it is very durable.
May I suggest you obtain a 2m sample and do up as per intended finish?

Secondly, if you are training plants up it, the amount of suckers, tendrils and penetrating aerial roots will obscure and even penetrate the wood substrate.

HTH. Sam.

Back