Outdoor mirrors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Im thinking on making a garden mirror. (Thanks to Mailee for inspiration)
Just a simple one.

I have a fair bit of mirror sat in my garage, it seems a shame to go and spend £20 on acrylic mirror.
Anyone see a reason why the glass one would be a bad idea? (Excluding kids and balls etc,)

You would want a foil backed one like would be used in a bathroom otherwise the moisture will soon affect the silvering. Though it may be better to have safety film stuck on the back rather than foil as it will keep it all together if it smashes.

As to why, it makes your garden look bigger.

J

We had a mirror in the garden for a while. We had to remove it as a blackbird was spending all day challenging and fighting himself, occasionally hopping on top to look in vain around the other side. It was hilarious but in the end we took pity on him, he was exhausted!

Looking hot about sums it up. That's why it's called firethorn :shock: Thick, very thick gauntlets, thick jacket, in fact my turning smock and thick trousers! Just as well the temprature has dropped down to 22ºC now.

Another 30" or so done only about another 4 metres to go :shock: Note that I use feet for wot I have cut and metres for wotz left. More feet cut than metres 8) Not daft me!

Hitch,
We have 5 pieces of mirror around the garden and all came from the house - nothing special - 2 came out of old wardrobes,
The oldest has been outside for 6 or 7 years and is still working well.
Each one is in a frame (like a picture frame) made from 2x1 and some have trellis in front of them to disguise them and confuse the viewer a little.

Well worth doing and can add interest and fun to your garden,

David

The pieces i have, have a sort of battleship grey coating, with a clear plastic film on the back.....

They will be sat in a frame, so edges wouldn't be all that exposed. Probably worth a go. Make it so the mirror can be changed out at a later date if required i think, just in case.

Back