OUCHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Signal

Established Member
Reaction score
First ever time ive been bitten in the workshop other than the odd nick or splinter.

Running a lump of poplar over the surface planer yesterday I somehow managed to flip the gaurd off and then plane the tips of my right index and middle fingers.

Dunno how it happened yet as I didnt hang about in the workshop for too long after wards.

It looks a lot lot worse than it is, our local practice nurse has patched me up and although very sore it will be nothing more than funky finger prints.

Annoying thing is the kids and the wife are away for a week and I was looking forward to a whole week out in the garden and the workshop :cry: Cest La Vie, least I still have all 10 digits remaining

When I pluck up the courage to go back in the ws to clean up the blood ill take some piccis of the chest of drawers ive just finished

Signal

Sig,
Yikes! That sounds really awful! I'm glad you're alright now and admire your attitude. I think something like that would keep me clear of the workshop for sometime.
All the best,
Gidon

Gidon, it would normally keep me out of there for a long time but I just hate to think of the possibilities of rust building up form all the blood I sprayed around :lol:

Neil, well 8 pinkies and two bloodies :wink:

Signal

Yeouchhhhh, Signal! :shock: My fingers are going numb just thinking about it. Glad to hear that there is no major lasting damage.

NeilCFD

Hi Signal,

Its not only my fingers that are feeling numb hearing that tale of woe.

How did the guard flip off? had you not pushed the lever hard on ?

It's at times like this that I really wish I didn't have a vivid imagination...
errr.gif

Heal soon, Sig.
puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Get well soon

Signal":1um231yt said:
ill take some piccis of the chest of drawers ive just finished

Will it have an interesting polka dot paint affect?
:D
Andy

:shock: nasty.

Hope you heal fast and well. Thankfully no major lasting injury.

I just got a new planer and didn't really get a chance to use it. I'll be scared now... :?

Thanks all for well wishes big group hug :lol:

I intend to venture out there this evening to have a poke about and see what happened and tidy up a bit.

dedee, hope I missed the set of drawers cos it hasnt got any finish on yet and its gonna be a pipper to clean up

Signal

Signal ouch, glad to hear your alright, it could have been so much worse.

It just goes to show how easily in a moment of distraction/loss of consideration our woodworking life could be over.

I hope you can get back in the shop soon. Good luck.

Woody

Have you told the missus? :( Or are you going to keep it secret! :?

It'll sure make you more vigilent for the future eh?

Hope you have a speedy recovery...

Adam

Aaaargh!

I have the same tee shirt. Fess -up and manage the ensuing conversation into a couple of weeks TLC rather than "Why did I marry such a brainless moron?" :lol:

<palpitations>
Just glad you're OK Sig. Phew, you were lucky.

At least you got bitten by a worthy opponent! It was a forsnter bit in a drill press that got me. How embarrassing :oops: Low speed as well :roll:

Hope it heals up quickly Signal. I had my scare last year with a band saw. By the time i got back in to the garage the red stuff had dried into the concrete floor...............at least it makes a reminder every time i see it :lol:

Aidan

Get well soon Signal

Reminded me of a accident I had a few years ago while welding down the shed and charging a car battery close by at the same time BANG or BOOM, luckily I had a welding mask on

Signal

Your jolly posting style in your replies seems to indicate that you are massively relieved it wasn't worse (as indeed are we all).

Did it take a couple of seconds before you could look? I've never done anything nasty but once when using a mitre saw the wood split lengthways and the top of my thumb was caught by a flying piece. There was just bruising but at the time I thought I must have removed part of my thumb with the mitre saw and couldn't bring myself to look for a moment.

Regards

Roy

Signal
What a nasty shock! I'm glad that you are OK. Please take care. It is so easy to get complacent. I nearly did something last weekend that I would have regretted for a long time if the gods had not been on my side. Lets just say it pays to check things twice if they are worth checking once!
Best wishes.

SF

Back