Ouch!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selectortone

Still waking up not dead in the morning
Reaction score
First project of 2017. It slipped in my hand as I was buffing it and the wheel caught the lip. D'oh!! (hammer). Hope no one was in the garden next door - the air went blue!

broken%20vase.jpg

That's a real shame - Nice to get the first slip and break out of the way early, though!

How about cutting / carving it into an 'intentional' design shape - probably sell for twice the price.

Nice shape and finish, btw

+1 for reshaping. The rest of it is 'fluid' enough that it doesn't need a flat top.

You beat me to it Robbo, seen this design a couple of times and really looks great and very different.

Simon

That's nowhere near beyond reclaiming. Take it to the club and see what others can offer for ideas but I reckon the lip just needs carving.

Exactly the same happened to me some time ago. I'd almost finished this cherry vase when a large crack appeared in the top.
The highly figured grain was far too good to abandon so I opened up the crack wider and carved a leaf in releaf with a polished buttom of lignum in the centre.
It sold at a rather nice price.
So, don't put it on the shelf have a rethink. Like Gregmcateer said there are always another way of doing things.

John. B

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll put it on the shelf for a couple of weeks and think about it again when the disappointment wears off.

Hey... it looks great from the other side! :mrgreen:

Back