Ottoman Tray.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
My wife bought an Ottoman to put in front of our couch. They are nice to put you feet on when reading a book but they are lousy at putting a beverage on so I made a tray that sits on top. A Quarter Sawn Oak panel framed in Bak Walnut, Boiled Linseed Oil and Paste Wax finish.

One thing I do for panels that most people don't do is to put a small dowel (1/8") in the centre of the groove on the end of the frame pieces and notch the centre of the panel. That ensures the panel is centred when I glue it up. Most people would, if anything, use SpaceBalls or bits of O-ring etc. Any seasonal movement of the panel will always be even. It isn't so important in a flat panel like this but if it is a raised panel the reveal may not be even if provision for centring wasn't taken into account. One of the pictures shows a mockup in scrap. The dowel in the finish piece being glued and trimmed flush.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_4213 20.jpg
    IMG_4213 20.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_4212 20.jpg
    IMG_4212 20.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_4164 20.jpg
    IMG_4164 20.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 601
Andy the Ottoman is a purchased item so I didn't upholster it. The tray just sits on top (gravity holds it) and it can be removed.

John I hadn't thought of that but the little bit of dowel showing isn't much.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_4215 20.jpg
    IMG_4215 20.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 510
Inspector":1f620g8f said:
Andy the Ottoman is a purchased item so I didn't upholster it. The tray just sits on top (gravity holds it) and it can be removed.

John I hadn't thought of that but the little bit of dowel showing isn't much.

Pete
To be honest, I'd probably catch the side of the groove with the drill bit...

Latest posts

Back