other hobbies? yeah right

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
Just interested in what you all do in your spare spare time. Maybe there is a common theme?

I used to be pretty keen on photography, and model rockets but still spend quite a lot of time driving and tweeking my kitcar. Its pain though as both my interests have to share a single car garage :(.

Tom

My other great passion is bonsai, it's that all engrossing attention to the form that shares many similarities for me with woodturning... and i'm obviously cultivating very small stock material :D
jim

At the moment i'm trying to corner the market in the supply of toothpicks and hamster bedding!!!
:D

on a more sane note - i'd hate to try and turn it - a common field maple with a 1" dia trunk, 12" tall woul set you back a good £50-60.. just think of the costs per cubic ft....

Jim

My current hobby is digging up the 10 tons of concrete footpaths that I installed in part of the garden five years ago and which were hardly ever walked on IIRC.

my main hobby is cooking, I work in I.T. but i trained part time as a chef and have full quals to work in a kitchen. I'd love to do it full time but there is not enough money in it to start from scratch.

Woodworking is fast becoming my 2nd fave hobby. Atm it is taking up most of my attention.

I,m also into bonsai, have a koipond, paint figures and am making a 1/12 scale traction engine.

So many hobbies, so little time :(

Jason

Photography, of the large format and rangefinder kinds.
Music, of the obscure and indie kind.
Whistling, of the tin kind.

I used to like bamboo crafts too, but they outgrew me. :)

Series I Landrover restoration ('48 pre-pro No. 45); Cycling;
garden (prefer vegepatch TBH). Definitely, absolutely nothing to do with computers! :evil:

I'm supposed to be studying an OU course in psychology. It's amazing what distractions can be found to keep me away from it.

Gill

Deep passion for golf (though can't afford to play much right now as all the spare pennies are going into the workshop), jazz when the kids aint around (damm sight cheaper than butchering wood), Digital video and photography 'cos needs must (young kids, in-laws in very far flung exotic places). Needless to say, jack of many interests, master of none.

SC

Main interest above all else is reading. I buy and read loads of books; my family and I love going to large bookshops, browse for a few hours (maybe drinking a coffee in the cafe etc. a too) and then buy loads of books. I've now got many hundreds of books and about 50% of them unread at present :oops: novels and reference

Other interests are: electronics design and construction (working on a new design today), computer programming (intellectual puzzle), watercolor painting

Both of the kids and I grow vegetables; enjoy cooking them too :wink:
I can't grow mushrooms though!!! :twisted: Tried 3 times now and nothing!
I've also got 3 bonsai trees too, but they are currently very ill after 5 years of healthy growth :cry:

On a more sporty note, squash, golf and riding my mountain bike off-road - all when time (rarely ) allows

I write and record music :D myself and two other mates make tracks via the internet. We use to play in a band together but now we can have a full band all in the computer. We are hoping to sell our music for film /tv and adverts.

SCOTT :D

One hobby that I'd like to get back to is gliding. After a couple of accidents a few years ago (one my fault exclusively :oops: and the other down to the Chief Flying Officer :D ) it's time to get up in the sky again.

I have discovered that retirement for some reason means not enough hours in the day to do what I did when I was working.

Building and repairing computers and networks, gardening, watercolour painting, motorcycling (Honda VFR 800), local history and post card collecting, goldfish, finding and refurbishing tools, trying to keep my websites running, collecting Quimper potery, digital photography, diy, etc, etc. Oh and of course woodwork!

Aldel

Tony":1q5x7jzg said:
Both of the kids and I grow vegetables; enjoy cooking them too :wink:
I can't grow mushrooms though!!! :twisted: Tried 3 times now and nothing!

I'm just entering into the world of veg growing. Today I have been 'pricking out' .. haven't a clue if im doing it right. Also planted some potatoes on Fri.

Hmm, I thought I didn't have any hobbies other than woodworking, but looking at other people's lists I suppose I have sort of. After all not all the books I buy are woodworking ones... Almost all the pictures I take are though, so that maybe doesn't count. So 90% of the time spent at car boot sales is looking for tools for woodworking, but that leaves 10% looking for, er, books... On woodworking... The fact I always tend to notice the woodworking stuff in films doesn't make me any less of an Cary Grant film buff (before you ask, there isn't any to speak of IIRC, although he does repair a boat in Father Goose). I used to do quite a bit of drawing and painting, but that's largely given way to, er, well go on, you guess. :oops: Does cleaning and restoring old tools really count as a seperate hobby? I suppose actually being interested in their history probably does; in fact I'll offer up a general all-round interest in history as a hobby. One day I may even get back to Napier's History of the war in the Penninsula [sic] - all six volumes. :shock: Hey, I've only had them for 10 years now; plenty of time to get started... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Hi All
I play guitar and sing in a local rock band 8)
Apart from that- work, family, sleep and wood-well, thats my life in a nutshell. :lol:
And I do like the odd beer.
Cheers
Sad Philly :D

Latest posts

Back