Other fora?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A recent post made me think about woodworking fora

My question is which other fora do our members belong to/visit?

I barely have time for this one and so generally don't reallly know of or visit others :oops:

....although a post some time back by (I think) Alf lead me to one that had some really interesting stuff on (NOT jigs :lol: )

How embarrassing. I have a latin signature block and yet it took me a while to work out that Tony was talking about fora as in the plural of 'forums', not the singular of 'animals' :oops:

I just visit this one.

Gill (who resembles a human being in many ways. Anthropologists are suspicious.)

This is the only one I regularly view and contribute too. I enjoy browsing through woodcentral to see what the merry cans can do in a "small" workshop (normally more meters that I have feet). I also visit sawmill creek and use the search on ukdiy for all manner of stuff.

I sometimes wonder how so many people are able to spend so much time on here. As I do not access from home I come to work on a Monday to a list of new posts that takes be most of the day to sort through. I do read nearly all of them as the level of knowledge & expertise on so many subjects is unsurpassed

Andy

I only visit this one. No time for more. Time seems to disappear quicker in front of a computer than it does in the workshop.

I haven't bothered looking for other fora since this one is very good

Cheers
Scott

Other fora? Forsooth! This is the only one, didn't you know? :roll:

I'm a bit of a board junkie, although this is the only one to suffer from this many postings. :oops: Old Tools gets delivered to my inbox, most of which is briefly opened before ditching, rather than read in depth. Every morning I skim at speed through the following:
Get Woodworking
free.uk.woodworking
Woodrat
Traditional Tools
Sawmill Creek (Handtools)
Woodnet (Handtools)
Wood Central (Handtools)

Periodically I'll gaze in alarm at The Wreck and FWW Knots then run away screaming. All while I wait for the pages to load on this one. :roll: I wouldn't look at nearly as much if I was on broadband, honest. :lol: Women In Woodworking just annoys me.

Cheers, Alf

I'm a very occasional visitor to the woodrat forums, but to be honest, I'd ask a question here as it's more likely to be around in a years time. The woodrat site seems to disappear and reappear more times than a magicians white rabbit.

Adam

Other fora! Sheesh, isn't this one enough! :?
Alf - Where do you find the time :shock: :wink:

Only visit this, although I used to trawl through others; but I have to say this for me is the best (not just saying that). Its the wealth of knowledge and helpfulness that makes me visit a couple of times a day.

This forum is very good, quick replies, good, answers, plenty of idees, and lots of people arround.

And more over, lots of fun :wink:

1. Wood Central Handtools a couple of times a week but read more than
post.

2. Redneck Central - sorry, The Oak once in a while to see what the real working stiffs do and I usually get a laugh there as well, don't post there

3. WWA Info exchange - mainly because John Lucas posts there - about once per month, don't post there anymore

4. Sawmill Creek when I remember it exists

5. Woodrat when it's up and I remember it exists - then I get so fed up with the uselessness of the Godfrey's marketing skills I cry and come away.

But as others have said, this site is pretty good and I no longer feel a great need to hang around other fora - not to speak of the time spent doing so.

I did like Badger Pond when it was around and it helped me enormously as I was learning this game. None of the USA boards seem quite to have captured its spirit (and I don't mean the heavy-handed moderation that characterised it) although WoodCentral comes closest in my mind. We also lost some of the regular posters there who were brilliant.

I read Knots - the FWW forum and have posted there as well but I have found that so much of the info is irrelevant because machinery, materials and lets face it language are so different.

Also since I discovered this place, I agree with Chris that there is no real need (or time) to go elsewhere.

Chris - I have to ask: - keep up with Philly's what? :D :wink:

T

Hi All
Nothing new here-
Lurk on Woodnet, Woodcentral handtools, sometimes Woodworking Australia.
Spend lots of time here though-nice and friendly with a wealth of knowledgable types!
cheers
Philly :D

I also lurk about on woodnet.net some. That is how I found out about this forum. Someone posted something and linked to this forum and here I am :D
I have learned a lot on woodnet but you have to be careful or you can get ranover in rush of things :D
They are not all Ladies and Gentlemen like whats on this forum :D
Travis

This as only one that I regular read, when links for others are posted I might pop over for a quick skim. I have only ever posted here, I like the company. :D

I consider many of the other members to be friends, the few I have met are worth the effort of meeting again. 8) How else am I going to talk about woodwork with people from all over the world let alone this country? :D

There are lots of different views from knowledgeable people which make for a useful time and entertaining as well as educational reading. 8)

Time is a big factor, I do try to read all of the posts, commenting were I feel I can add to the conversion, most days I have to go to work :? so I don't get to the forum before 7:30pm and lots of you seem to spent lots of the day posting like mad, takes me ages to catch up. :roll: Don't stop will you. :shock:

This is the one for me. Friendly people who are always quick to help. No lecturing or self-opinionated bullsh**!
Why look anywhere else?

SF

Back