Osmo Polyx matt standard oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is this a good idea on a 'character oak' kitchen?

Osmo's website say it is hardwearing and waterproof, also only needs a maximum of two coats. Does this make it economical, as less used? Cos it don't come cheap.

I've used Rustin's Danish Oil so far, but not over keen on the finish or potential durability, also takes so long with eleventeen coats to each piece!!

Ta

andy

Hi andy, iv not used the matt but have used plenty of satin. Its very easy to apply and seems pretty durable. iv just used some on a piece of furniture but also used it on an oak celing. this required the odd bit of resanding and finishing and the repairs in the finish blended in very well. i would recommend wearing gloves..turns your hands black!

James.

I've used their Poly-X on a few worktops and it seems to hold up well, a little thicker than Danish to apply so needs a bit more effort brushing it out. I tend to give two coats top and bottom then at least one more to the top once its all jointed up. 1 Tin should do the average kitchen.

BTW F&C have a test of three waxoils against 3 danish types this month.

J

I just bought some of this stuff, but haven't used it yet, i also have to put it on an oak ceiling

thanks for the tip of wearing gloves

I would certainly use it on beams but not sure about Kitchen Worktops. We've done some simple household chemical tests such as leaving wine, alcohol, vinegar, ketchup on the surface and it performed poorly. We actually sell this range of products so it's not in my interest to put it down but for a worktop there are better wood finishes out there.

If you do decide to use it on the worktops it will require regular maintenace, which for many people isn't an issue.

Hope this is of some help.

Ian

I don't want to use it on worktops, just on doors and frames!

Any other recommendations for this application, I want a flat finish no sheen?

Ta

Back