Osmo oils advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadge

Established Member
Reaction score
Managed to find a post I read from another forum on the same topic as I had similar questions a while back....

from other forum:

Just received a reply from the OSMO rep.... Top Oil only comes in a .5 liter container, and is very close to the Polyx formulation. The main difference is that OSMO has made the investment to get a third party “food safe” certification for Top Oil. In actual use, it’s unlikely that you would notice a difference between TopOil and Polyx.

Bingo. Cheers i was wondering if it was just the food safe elememt. Thank you

I had the same dilemma when I did my worktops last year. Ended up going with the polyx and have become a fan.

The polyx has a toy safe label on, so I figured if it's safe for children to gnaw on then it should be good for a worktop.

I built a bare Birch ply table last year and finished it with 3, may have been 4, coats of OSMO Top Oil - no complaints so far. We also have the special OSMO spray cleaner which is formulated for the finish - in a few months I'll use the OSMO cleaner (not the spray) and re-apply some Top Oil. Some other plywood furniture has had the same treatment ... and all looks good.

I built a bare Birch ply table last year and finished it with 3, may have been 4, coats of OSMO Top Oil - no complaints so far. We also have the special OSMO spray cleaner which is formulated for the finish - in a few months I'll use the OSMO cleaner (not the spray) and re-apply some Top Oil. Some other plywood furniture has had the same treatment ... and all looks good.
Thank you

Back