Osmo oil - For mantelpiece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Would Osmo be suitable as a finish for a mantelpiece ?.

Im not a great finisher, always been shellac,French or oil, or a combination, but was wondering if this would be better suited.
Going onto bare timber - Hard Maple

Certainly yes. It's one of my go to finishes for things that are going to be handled or have things placed on it. For example a serving tray I made a while back. It keeps a very natural feel and scratches don't show very easily.

It's worth checking out some video tutorials on how to apply it as it's a little different to regular oils. You don't really want to flood it on, it seems to work best in thin layers. Matt Estlea's video is a great example of getting a good finish with osmo:

Yep, OSMO would be ideal I recon, I use the Satin (code 3032) on most projects!

As mentioned above, apply thinly - shameless stolen from a previous post of mine...

Use a non abrasive pad - white scotch guard type thing.

The trick is putting it on thin, the non abrasive pad will burnish the finish a little so no need for sanding.
I find if you add your osmo, leave it 15 mins, go back over with a clean non abrasive pad and remove any excess with firm pressure. Then make sure it’s warm ish when drying. I bring my projects into the house after applying as it’s too cold in the garage at the moment for it to dry.

I watched the above vid and its those methods I use.

Back