Osmo hardwax oil finish type

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to buy Osmo hardwax oil finish for the white oak bed that I am building. What type do you recommend or recommend against? Glossy, Satin, Matte or Semi-Matte?

I am going to buy all 4 samples and try them on my wood, but if you already know that some type is not good-looking or is difficult to maintain, or does not work well with oak, I can eliminate them beforehand.

Thank you.

I've just done the same, only on softwood. Couldn't see much difference between the two mattes.

Just try them and see, it comes down to personal taste. We preferred gloss or satin to either of the mattes, but that was for a floor.

The Osmo site has info on how the finishes wear over time, but they're assuming flooring, so you won't get that on a bed.

TIP - get some large paperclips so you can fold the open edges of the little sachets over a few times and keep them sealed while you wait for the first coats to dry.

Satin.
Shiny, but not so much you're constantly looking to polish out finger marks.
Thanks Triton,

They have the samples on some softwood online and in the shop, but that will not tell me much. This is why I wanted to ask people who already have experience with various types. I will buy a sample first and if I like it, I will buy the whole can.

To me is really about your personal taste. I don’t like shiny surfaces so I always use Matt or Semi Matt. I used Semi Matt on a staircase about 6 years ago and it takes wear very well.

Don't know if you are aware, but I think Osmo recommend that the second coat be applied with a microfibre fleece. I bought one of theirs to apply a clear satin Top Oil high solid to some turned platters and bowls. It was a devil to keep the fleece usable over a few days and at £7 - expensive. A much cheaper alternative was a microfibre face flannel or duster at a fraction of the cost and just as good.

Both I and my wife liked glossy the most. On my oak, it is barely glossy, far less glossy than a high gloss lacquer finish, but most vivid of Osmo oil. I have tried it and no fingerprints were left on it. Hope it will work out on the whole bed.

Latest posts

Back