Osmo finish for a classical guitar.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna808

RICHARD
Reaction score
Having read the very positive reviews of Osmo finish,I was wondering if anyone in the forum has used this product to finish a classical guitar or an acoustic for that matter.
I have seen the finish applied in solid electric guitar with success.I have finished guitars with french polish and nitro cellulose lacquer before,but having seen the ease of application and quality of finish of osmo its worth considering.
My doubt is wether the oil absorption is going to have a negative impact on the woods response particularly on the soundboard......back and side don’t worried me too much.
Advice and comments would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

Richard

Can't help you directly, but I've finished instruments withTru-Oil, a gun stock finish. That barely penetrates the surface, no more than shellac does.

HOWEVER, softwood tops absorb it unequally, leading to blotching. I'd guess Osmo is the same. Spruce or cedar will need shellac wash coats first.

That’s one of my concerns at the back of my mind,I’ve never used osmo as the product is not readily available in Gibraltar,but i can get it via eBay at a ridiculous shipping rate .I have looked at their range but don’t know enough to take a risk on an expensive instrument.
They do a rapid dry which might not penetrate as much,I have also read that with less porous woods the are not as effective and have to be primed before application.
Don't know how rosewood would take it....thanks for your advice!

I'm just an amateur builder, so my instruments are gifts or for my own playing. I've never had a complaint about finish being fragile, even though both shellac and Tru-Oil are said to be problematic in the hands of musicians :)

I'm guessing that if you sell your instruments you're selling to musicians who will care for their instruments. The mass market uses catalysed polyester, because it's a quick industrial process and bullet proof for the average guitar buyer.

I guess if Osmo only requires a few coats, that's a big advantage. If I could get hold of a sample bottle then I'd do a test piece - might look out for one next time I'm in a DIY store.

If you're near a trade decorating supplier you may well be able to get sample sachets - they're only a quid or so - but I doubt you'll get samples in a shed.

OP - you might be able to get Blanchon hardwax oil - it's made in France.

nitro cellulose lacquer makes a good finish for guitar, durable and looks good, oil would feel nice on the neck but it won't stop a nice quartersawn spruce top from going dull when you have dirt on your hands, at the very least seal it with de-waxed shellac first.

Back