Oscillating Spindle/bobbin sander startup issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi, I have a generic bobbin sander, it's not had a lot of use, but today, when pressing start button, motor hummed but not working.
In desperation I tried spinning the bobbin by hand, then it ran ok.
This happened about 5 times today, so have abandoned sanding on it today.

Before I tear it apart, does anyone have suggestions on what the problem may be, or even what should I be looking for when I open it up to investigate.

Really need to get it running, load of internal curves to sand.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll strip it the weekend. Any idea what sort of cost I would be looking at?

Thanks, I'll strip it the weekend. Any idea what sort of cost I would be looking at?
One and only time I bought one it was three or £4, just be careful it may be charged when it arrives so put a screwdriver across the terminals to defuse it, same with the one you are removing, you can get a nasty jolt from them. Ian

Hi all,
Long delay to get to it for repair, life in way of hobby, Got a matching capacitor today, old one out new one in, rebuild and test.

It's alive and working well again, thanks to each of you for help. Just cost £5 and back in business 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Good result !
Thanks, I managed to find one with not only matching voltage and capacitance, but with all the same lettering and codes.
Wasn't sure if just CBB60 8uF 450v was all I needed, so made sure it had 25/70/21 50/60hz on it too, as some other CBB60 8uF 450v had 40/70/21 or something similar.
So not being a spark, went for exact match, not sure if that matters, but safe than sorry approach.
Very happy turner tonight.

Nice to see a tool saved rather than junked for a low cost part.
Me too, I always have a fiddle first, sometimes though it's sadly uneconomical to fix. But in this case totally a win win, it goes and I've learned something new, such a good feeling.

Thanks, I managed to find one with not only matching voltage and capacitance, but with all the same lettering and codes.
Wasn't sure if just CBB60 8uF 450v was all I needed, so made sure it had 25/70/21 50/60hz on it too, as some other CBB60 8uF 450v had 40/70/21 or something similar.
So not being a spark, went for exact match, not sure if that matters, but safe than sorry approach.
Very happy turner tonight.

Good job! The 8uF 450V was the important specification. The 25/70/21, 40/70/21, or similar number groups, is the climate class for the capacitor. The first group is the lower operating temperature in Celsius (read as a negative number), the middle group is the upper operating temperature in Celsius, and the third group is the number of days the capacitor can operate at 95-percent humidity and +40 degrees Celsius.

In your case, the capacitor is rated for normal operation from -25 to +70 degrees Celsius, or 21 days at 95-percent humidity and +40 degrees Celsius.

Me too, I always have a fiddle first, sometimes though it's sadly uneconomical to fix. But in this case totally a win win, it goes and I've learned something new, such a good feeling.
Same here. Can't save them all sometimes but it's quite satisfying when you get one.

Back