Oscillating Bobbin sanders- Advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cefn.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
First post of the New Year, so happier New Year to you all.
Please keep in mind I'm an amateur wood working hobbiest enjoying retirement in my man shed.
I'm interested in purchasing a table top Oscillating Bobbin sander. I've looked at availability, prices, suitability, etc. I'd like to try my hand at Band saw boxes and need a tool like this for the internal curve sanding.
What I would like is a model like the Triton TSPS450 450W. £150.00 However this model doesn't have an adjustable table. Question- Does anyone use the angle adjustment very often. If not then I would seriously consider this Triton.
Also, can you buy extra Sanding sleeves with a finer, less aggressive grit that 100?
Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
Cefn.

I have the Jet/Axminster one. It has a tilting table that I use very infrequently. However, when you need it....
It has a range of grits from 60 to 240 as far as I can remember, and 2 spindle diameters- 50mm and 20mm. Both very useful.
It's quite slow, but does a good job.

Hi.
First post of the New Year, so happier New Year to you all.
Please keep in mind I'm an amateur wood working hobbiest enjoying retirement in my man shed.
I'm interested in purchasing a table top Oscillating Bobbin sander. I've looked at availability, prices, suitability, etc. I'd like to try my hand at Band saw boxes and need a tool like this for the internal curve sanding.
What I would like is a model like the Triton TSPS450 450W. £150.00 However this model doesn't have an adjustable table. Question- Does anyone use the angle adjustment very often. If not then I would seriously consider this Triton.
Also, can you buy extra Sanding sleeves with a finer, less aggressive grit that 100?
Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
Cefn.

Just sent you a private conversation

I've been debating about something similar myself ( in my case the Triton TSPST450 450W Oscillating Spindle & Belt Sander) but hadn't got round to checking consumables for them till now...my initial quick search wasn't encouraging :(
Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 15.23.24.png

Last edited:
I've been debating about something similar myself ( in my case the Triton TSPST450 450W Oscillating Spindle & Belt Sander) but hadn't got round to checking consumables for them till now...my initial quick search wasn't encouraging :(View attachment 100463
This is one of the problems, you can only buy the replacement sleeves in 6 packs.

I have this model and use it all the time now that I have it. It and it's clones are available from quite a few brands and I cant complain about it. I use it far more thant I thought I would. and the fact that I is both a spindle and belt is very useful indeed

hth

I have the Jet one with tilting table I don't use it very often but when I do I find the tilting table quite useful, I would not have one without the tilting table.

First question is do you really need one? I bought one only because I really need it. Before that I used my pillar drill. I bought a set of sanding drums and used them in the chuck - does a great job. Also, you can use the sanding drums in a hand drill.

If you do use the pillar drill, it's more effective if you make make and place a 10mm spacer on the table that is big enough to support your workpiece. Put a hole in the spacer that is bigger than the drum diameter and raise the table so the drum sits below the spacer but can still turn freely. You can even tilt the pillar drill for angled work.

My son persuaded me to get the jet one with the tilting table, I didn’t think I would use it at all, but I must say it’s a very handy bit of kit, I don’t think I’ve ever tilted the table and were I wanting to do something at an angle it’s easy enough just to angle the bit of wood, Ian

I have the triton spindle and belt sander now about 3 months old. I never used the angle when spindle sanding but often do when belt sanding it’s great for just smoothing off a cut edge.

I suppose buying any individual machine comes down to how often you will be using it.
Hence I have some drill press sanders for the occasional time I need to sand a curve and it works great.

I suppose buying any individual machine comes down to how often you will be using it.
Hence I have some drill press sanders for the occasional time I need to sand a curve and it works great.

The above is the magic equation - the cost of acquisition vs the utilization. However, I do find that if the stand-alone machine is available then it is likely to be used vs setting something up and the parts being in a drawer somewhere.

One day when I hit the jackpot I will have every separate machine .......

Last edited:
I have this model and use it all the time now that I have it. It and it's clones are available from quite a few brands and I cant complain about it. I use it far more thant I thought I would. and the fact that I is both a spindle and belt is very useful indeed

hth
Thats great. Many thanks for this comment. Im in the process of buying the Triton Single Bobbin sander as we speak. Cheers.

Back