OSB for sheathing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishpat86

Established Member
Reaction score
What would people reccomend for sheathing a shed wall, 11mm or 18mm OSB and should I use OSB2 or 3? I'm going to use breather membrane then put battens and cladding on the outside as well.

Also, how much do you pay for each kind of OSB per sheet?

I've just used 18mm osb 3 board for the same construction, for the slight extra cost its worth going for osb3, which I think is the standard that most merchants stock. I think I paid £17.50+vat 11mm is about £12.00+vat from memory.

I thought about using 11mm but decided with 18mm, the studs can then be further apart and it is thick enough to screw onto inside for shelving etc.

I'm using Tyvek housewrap then 25 x 50 tiling battens then cladding. Insect mesh at bottom

RobinBHM":1ihf2cf0 said:
I've just used 18mm osb 3 board for the same construction, for the slight extra cost its worth going for osb3, which I think is the standard that most merchants stock. I think I paid £17.50+vat 11mm is about £12.00+vat from memory.

I thought about using 11mm but decided with 18mm, the studs can then be further apart and it is thick enough to screw onto inside for shelving etc.

I'm using Tyvek housewrap then 25 x 50 tiling battens then cladding. Insect mesh at bottom

What stud spacings have you gone for? I was thinking of 400mm centres using 11mm OSB,

I did 600mm spacings (actual size slightly diff - to suit board repeats).

I think 400mm is recommended for 11mm -it is quite strong material although not always very flat. It will still make a strong shed, given that most sheds have cladding tacked straight to the frame.

I used 100 x 50 studs for strength, as it is an unheated shed Im not going to line the inside and figured wider spacings would allow plenty of wall space for hanging stuff without the studs getting in the way.

I would have thought 11mm would be more than plenty for a shed, particularly when most house construction in the US makes use of 11mm

IMHO 18mm osb3 with 2foot centre ( as osb is imperially sized) studs. It's what we use for similar construction anyway. As for price, ring around. We pay 11 quid a sheet but then we do use an awfull lot of the stuff.

Back