OSB for Kitchen Unit Doors??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aden30mm

Established Member
Reaction score
My lad who having discovered edgy (his word) interior decoration, would like to have his kitchen unit doors made out of 18mm OSB boards. I don't see any problems making and sealing them, but wondered if anyone out there has any pointers or foresees any issues with using this material.

The kitchen is well ventilated and dry, excess cooking moisture is taken away via a cooker hood & he also runs a dehumidifier in his residence.

All comments welcome.

Kind regards

Aden

Well I don't see any practical reason why not. Use OSB3 rather than OSB2.
But I think it will look ghastly. But then it's been a very long time since I was a Lad, and I was remembering only today a favourite pair of 22" bell-bottomed check trousers I had when I was a student...

OSB tends not to be very flat. Sometimes the boards have tension and can bind on the saw blade and end up cupped.

Most OSB I have used has printing across the face, or perhaps that would ell be part of the charm!

Might need to think about screws.... little 3.5 x 16s (that I tend towards for hinges on 18mm doors) won't hold too long in OSB.

Edgy? Maybe some bolts through the face into the hinges. Might look right.

Sounds o/k to me, my kitchen has osb clad walls, a couple of coats of varnish and they have lasted years.

Pete

Steve Maskery":3h0f9kj2 said:
I thought you meant using OSB as the panel in a door. You mean just a rectangular piece of OSB?
I think I'm lost for words!

We have a promotional statuette from one of the Canadian OSB manufacturers at home, It's been cut and shaped from OSB, sanded to within an inch of its life and lacquered and polished to a mirror sheen... Looks absolutely stunning, has no right to, but does.

Seems very London :lol:

I popped the TS55 cherry with OSB3, I felt very mean and dirty doing it but the edge was divine! I reckon if you cut with a fine tooth brand spanking new blade, you will get a decent edge that you can then finish to prevent splintery edges.
Wonder how is routs...

If you can resaw it and make bookmatched doors, I reckon it'll look awesome (hashtag-joking) :-D

I reckon it could look amazing as you could use two layers of 11mm (which will be a nicer thickness for fitting kitchen cabinet hinges) and use something contrasting, paint, veneer etc, or go traditional shaker style maybe. Fitting a shaker kitchen at moment, mdf core with a vinyl wrapped door, fixings into that can be fun. Love to see some pictures when its done.

For any of you oldsters who are out of touch :mrgreen: there's actually quite a bit of higher-end use being made of OSB these days. Personally I think furniture with a few key panels in OSB can look pretty spiffy. As for kitchen cabinet doors, that's also a done thing apparently and I think you might agree it looks surprisingly good.

Where I personally draw the line is using it to clad walls and ceilings and floor :shock:

Seems like I was well ahead of the times when I did my kitchen walls in it 23 years ago!

Pete

Maybe the fashion is just coming around again Pete.

I have rolls of woodchip awaiting the second coming

Latest posts

Back