Oregon chainsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim1950

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi anyone got the Oregon CS1500 240v self sharpening chainsaw from screwfix, anygood? like the idea of self sharpening
Or can you recommend a better electric chainsaw

My personal preference would be a petrol chainsaw but it depends on what you intend on using it for . As for self sharpening saws these would not be my choice as they tend to be expensive when you eventually have to replace replace the chain. Chainsaws can inflict serious injuries on the user or anyone close to the work area so protective clothing -ppe is an absolute must and should not be taken lightly. The safety clothing-boots helmet ear defenders and gloves will cost far more than an average quality saw but what value do you put on your safety . Hope this info is of use .

I have one and it is really good, as long as you have a power supply near:). I have had it for several years and on another post I said it it started cutting in a curve, so recently I got a new chain, but when I took the old chain off and examined it, it looked fine. I put it back on and it cut perfectly straight. I cut an oak tree down two weeks ago. It was cutting dead straight. The only explanation is that the previous time I used it, the chain came off and I might have put it on the wrong way round :oops: if that is possible? I often do stupid things like that. Anyway, the saw still has the original chain and it is cutting as good as new. It has an 18" bar, so can cope with large diameters. 2400W, it has plenty power. It cuts exceptionally well. I said in the other post, one disadvantage is cutting green wood, it cuts faster than the saw can clear the waste. Another user said the oiler doesn't work too well. I think that is possibly true. When you run the saw and point it at something, you don't get a line of oil thrown off as I have seen on other saws. The bar doesn't get too hot. It does go through oil and my bar isn't showing signs of excessive wear.
I got the saw to cut up a fairly big tree which had fallen It was about 3ft diameter and more at the base. It took me three days to cut up the full tree. The saw could cut to the full depth of the bar. The saw performed exceptionally well, apart from the waste clearing problem. I found a way of wedging the plastic cover open, but I might make a modified part on the 3D printer to fix the problem.
I like that the chain stops instantly, but the motor runs on for a couple of seconds, so you have to always be careful not to get trained into thinking motor running, chain stopped. If you used another saw you could make a really stupid mistake. It is noisy as hell. I'm scrawny, but the saw is easy to use. Well balanced. The safety button is easy to hold in. On some tools I have, my hand aches after a while holding the safety trigger, The chain is viciously sharp, different set to other chains I have seen. you get really fast cutting, . The self sharpening works very well. I have a smaller petrol saw, which was my dad's. but I can't be bothered sharpening saw blades. I have all the gear to do it, but too much effort. Replacement chains for the Oregon are reasonable price from Screwfix. It comes with a new sharpening stone. Overall, I am really pleased with the saw and would recommend it. I haven't used any other electric saws, so limited experience of brands.

I have an Oregon and use it for my firewood. It’s very good. I really like the self sharpening and accept the cost of the new chain being a bit higher in exchange for the convenience. The instant stop is also very reassuring (though obviously all proper care is essential with such a dangerous tool).

My personal preference would be a petrol chainsaw but it depends on what you intend on using it for . As for self sharpening saws these would not be my choice as they tend to be expensive when you eventually have to replace replace the chain. Chainsaws can inflict serious injuries on the user or anyone close to the work area so protective clothing -ppe is an absolute must and should not be taken lightly. The safety clothing-boots helmet ear defenders and gloves will cost far more than an average quality saw but what value do you put on your safety . Hope this info is of use .
Thanks, yes I agree about the H&S wear have used a petrol saw for a number of year, it was stolen a time back and now retired this one would just be for fire wood type stuff.
Thanks Jim

I have one and it is really good, as long as you have a power supply near:). I have had it for several years and on another post I said it it started cutting in a curve, so recently I got a new chain, but when I took the old chain off and examined it, it looked fine. I put it back on and it cut perfectly straight. I cut an oak tree down two weeks ago. It was cutting dead straight. The only explanation is that the previous time I used it, the chain came off and I might have put it on the wrong way round :oops: if that is possible? I often do stupid things like that. Anyway, the saw still has the original chain and it is cutting as good as new. It has an 18" bar, so can cope with large diameters. 2400W, it has plenty power. It cuts exceptionally well. I said in the other post, one disadvantage is cutting green wood, it cuts faster than the saw can clear the waste. Another user said the oiler doesn't work too well. I think that is possibly true. When you run the saw and point it at something, you don't get a line of oil thrown off as I have seen on other saws. The bar doesn't get too hot. It does go through oil and my bar isn't showing signs of excessive wear.
I got the saw to cut up a fairly big tree which had fallen It was about 3ft diameter and more at the base. It took me three days to cut up the full tree. The saw could cut to the full depth of the bar. The saw performed exceptionally well, apart from the waste clearing problem. I found a way of wedging the plastic cover open, but I might make a modified part on the 3D printer to fix the problem.
I like that the chain stops instantly, but the motor runs on for a couple of seconds, so you have to always be careful not to get trained into thinking motor running, chain stopped. If you used another saw you could make a really stupid mistake. It is noisy as hell. I'm scrawny, but the saw is easy to use. Well balanced. The safety button is easy to hold in. On some tools I have, my hand aches after a while holding the safety trigger, The chain is viciously sharp, different set to other chains I have seen. you get really fast cutting, . The self sharpening works very well. I have a smaller petrol saw, which was my dad's. but I can't be bothered sharpening saw blades. I have all the gear to do it, but too much effort. Replacement chains for the Oregon are reasonable price from Screwfix. It comes with a new sharpening stone. Overall, I am really pleased with the saw and would recommend it. I haven't used any other electric saws, so limited experience of brands.
Thanks JIm

I have an Oregon and use it for my firewood. It’s very good. I really like the self sharpening and accept the cost of the new chain being a bit higher in exchange for the convenience. The instant stop is also very reassuring (though obviously all proper care is essential with such a dangerous tool).
Thanks Jim

Just posted a video on the post ancient stihl chainsaw- worth a watch if only for entertainment-note the lack of p p e on the user but that’s the USA for you .

The oregon quick sharpening system saves a lot of time sharpening especialy if your cutting dirty wood. I know a few foresters who us it for thinning to ground level of smaller trees but if I remember it can only be used on smaller powered saws. The system I have seen fits on the end of the bar and not part of the saw so it can be used on any saw under a certain power as long as its fitted with the suitable oregon chain/bar etc. As said the chains are more expensive but the down time is minimal and easy to sharpen.

The oregon quick sharpening system saves a lot of time sharpening especialy if your cutting dirty wood. I know a few foresters who us it for thinning to ground level of smaller trees but if I remember it can only be used on smaller powered saws. The system I have seen fits on the end of the bar and not part of the saw so it can be used on any saw under a certain power as long as its fitted with the suitable oregon chain/bar etc. As said the chains are more expensive but the down time is minimal and easy to sharpen.
thanks Jim

Latest posts

Back