Order from Rockler USA !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, 'just thought I'd let you know how my first order from Rockler in the states is going. I'm sorry to say not too good.I ordered four small light items as an experiment in cost more than anything else. I ordered A bench dog push bloc ,push loc and two feather boards also bench dog.I paid an extra $8 to get the delivery here ( Co Down ) in two weeks instead of three weeks,that was on sep' 5 and when there was still no delivery on sep'27 I contacted Rockler ...they said due to over order of the feather boards they wont be back in stock until oct'7....so I wont be receiving my order until oct'21 .However the cost of the items in the UK would have cost me around £95 (without postage costs) whereas they only cost £57 including postage from USA. I must add that when ordering, Rockler stated the said items were in stock! Phil. p.s Are there many other forum users out there who order from the USA?

Over the years I've bought many things from all over the world including the US. Never had any problems except when UPS, or worse, DHL get involved when all sorts of charges can get added. If they will get your US suppliers to use their ordinary express USPS airmail.

Truth is that this not just a problem when ordering from the USA but is internet wide.
Many companies selling on the internet don't hold stock of all the items they offer for sale, but will take your order and then hang on to it until they have enough orders to then place an order with their supplier and if at that point their supplier has no stock of your item your order goes wrong

Have you thought about the duty that's payable? In my experience, IF, you get caught for it it makes a very big difference in the final price paid. I'll keep my finger crossed for you...!!

YorkshireDave":1tty7u6m said:
Have you thought about the duty that's payable? In my experience, IF, you get caught for it it makes a very big difference in the final price paid. I'll keep my finger crossed for you...!!
Hi, the final prices include all export-import duty ,vat so on.

RogerP":3s26yytc said:
Over the years I've bought many things from all over the world including the US. Never had any problems except when UPS, or worse, DHL get involved when all sorts of charges can get added. If they will get your US suppliers to use their ordinary express USPS airmail.
Thanks for the tip! seems worth while on some light weight items.

Using USPS doesn't work all the time - my local sorting office has started adding various charges on some of the stuff I had sent from the States.
It's a bit of a gamble?

Rod

powertools":3gxewabe said:
Truth is that this not just a problem when ordering from the USA but is internet wide.
Many companies selling on the internet don't hold stock of all the items they offer for sale, but will take your order and then hang on to it until they have enough orders to then place an order with their supplier and if at that point their supplier has no stock of your item your order goes wrong

Ain't that the truth!

I ordered a Salaman from a well known high street book store...who clearly should not be in the internet business....and virtually every book (however obscure) was "in stock".

My theory is that they simply use the ISBN database irrespective of whether they have the book or not. :roll:

They were simply attrocious...rude...and were very economical with the truth!

Needless to say I won't be ordering anything from them again, nor use their shops...there should be a law against companies using that trick to get sales.

Very angry of Sevenoaks!

:mrgreen:

P.S. I got my money back in the end and got the book from jolly old FleaBay! =D>

' just thought i'd let you know how my order from Rockler USA is going...according to Rockler my order was despatched on tue'18 oct' and should reach me in two weeks time...my order was placed on sep'5 ,so near two months for A small order worth $57. I noticed Rutlands now has an advert saying something like "now stocking Rockler products" but when I clicked on the page it did have the Rockler logo at the top of the page but no products were shown....must have another look! Phil.

Hi
Just to say that I have ordered loads of tools from the US, Rockler, Woodcraft and even an 8" Delta planer and a 15 1/5" Delta thicknesser from a tool shop in Miami with no problems, You all seem to say that it is pot luck whether you get extra charges but bear in mind that when items are sent by USPS the items carry a handling charge of £8 because the post office pay the duty when it gets here so they can deliver it and that is additional to the import duty and VAT that you would have to pay, also remember that VAT is not only charged on the value of the items but on the shipping costs that you have paid to the company sending the goods, AND you won't get the parcel from the post office until you pay the duty. If items are sent using UPS or FEDEx then items will be delivered but you will get an invoice from them at a later date with the duty payable and will have a handling charge aswell.
I have just had a parcel sent from the States costs including shipping where $67, still had to pay £8 handling and had to collect from post office myself and pay the bill.

The upper limit of goods that can be sent without any Vat charges is very small around £50 but again if items are sent using USPS and the post office this end have to deliver them you will be charged £8 handling.

There seems to be an increase on postage costs from the US as even little items that would fit in a small jiffy bag 6" X 4" have a minimum shipping cost of around $35, you only have to look on ebay to see how much shipping costs of small items are.

Don't be fooled when ordering when the companies say that there will be no more charges THERE WILL BE EXTRA CHARGES.

Cheers

Mooeee

Latest posts

Back