Orbital sanders that discs stick to!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polly13

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know of an orbital sander that DOESN'T throw the damned discs off all the time?!

Mirka Deros. Use a pad saver disk as well (saves money). Both normal abrasives and the mesh type (Abranet) stick and stay in place perfectly.

Dust extraction helps a lot, as does letting the machine do the work rather than applying excess pressure.

That just means you need a replacement pad - they don't last forever and are a common part for most sanders

That just means you need a replacement pad - they don't last forever and are a common part for most sanders
OK. I didn't realise the pads were easy to come by. I've just had a nightmare trying to get some for my MacAllister.

Sometimes it's just easier to buy a new sander but check if your sander is compatible with other brands? The pads vary in price; Bosch ~£15 but Makita ~£25! Haven't bought others.

OK. I didn't realise the pads were easy to come by. I've just had a nightmare trying to get some for my MacAllister.

MacAllister is the problem. If you buy a decent make sander such as Bosch, Makita, Festool etc the replacement pads are readily available

MacAllister stuff from B&Q are throw away kit as far as the dealers are concerned. Designed for DIY use, in that they will last for years, if you only use them for 20min/wk. but if you use them for long periods the gearing/bearings etc will usually die before the pad as they are built to fail after X hours of use and fairly accurately too. Just look at how much stuff dies just after running out of warranty.

If all you are doing is decorating or the odd job for the house then replace with the same BUT if you are looking to do woodwork etc as a hobby then splash the cash/bite the bullet and get a decent make tool that will probably outlast you and was designed to have repairable/replaceable parts used.

hth

Ah. The key here is to make sure the pad holes line up with the holes in the sander plate and use extraction. I would get a better ROS with easily available pads if I were doing a lot of sanding (which I do- hence the Deros).

I must admit I've not had one that "does" throw them off.

Also pads are pretty standard sizes, (125mm, 150mm), so the make shouldn't matter.
It's just a question of the holes, and you can normally get enough to line up with any brand, of make new holes.
Also the Abranet ones, are a mesh, so allow good extraction on any sander. Got a box of 50 for €40 and expect them to last 10-20 years.
https://www.axminstertools.com/eu/mirka-abranet-abrasive-disc-120g-150mm-pkt-50-953219
Never had the velcro fail though...

ive been using a dewalt dwe6423 for 12 months, never had an issue, its £90, so not 'inexpensive', but not Mirka money either

recently started using KLINGSPOR disks from a seller on eBay - seem decent enough, and you can do a 'mixed' box, so buy 20/50/100 disks, and specify how many of each grit you want.

started using KLINGSPOR disks from a seller on eBay - seem decent enough, and you can do a 'mixed' box, so buy 20/50/100 disks, and specify how many of each grit you want.
started reading that, thought, 'oh great, another selection pack where I'm stuck with a load of bits I don't need'. Then read the rest of the sentence. That is an excellent option, wish it was more readily available, especially when it come to screws (where you always end up with thousands of 12mm screws that you'll barely touch).

yup gluing on velcro works no problem - have replaced my old bosch pad twice doing this - there is one thing you must make sure of though (caps for emphasis) BUY MICRO VELCRO not the "normal" stuff, on the "normal" stuff the hooks are too large for sanding pads, micro velcro with tiny hooks works a treat and can be bought self adhesive as well, but contact adhesive works well. - just remember to punch the holes through again or cut out with a sharp knife.

if you are getting heat from sanding you are applying WAAAAY too much pressure, just the weight of the ROS and your hand is more than enough, if it's not cutting anymore replace the sanding disk! (or buy better disks like Klingspor if Mirka is a bit spendy for you)

plus a good clean with an air compressor blow gun on the pad also helps a lot....
on the odd occaision I give the pad a wipe with a soft (brass) wire brush......
got fed up with the cheaper end machines, bought a Makita which is so nice to use...less vibs as well.....
now years old and worked hard.....and they are even repairable....

Latest posts

Back