orbital sander advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim C

Established Member
Reaction score
My old sanders (belt and rectangular orbital) are not doing the job on a table top which I had planed off. The belt always leaves marks which the orbital can't get out. Any advice out there about good orbitals which might cut the mustard? About time I re-equipped.

I use Mirka Deros. Many use Festool. There are several cheaper good ones of different brands at different price points if you re not using them every day Good extraction during sanding speeds things up and improves the finish. An aggressive orbital with say 80 grit can be nearly as effective as a belt sander at material removal.

Last edited:
Watching this thread as I'm looking as well. Narrowed itdownto the Mirka and the Festool, though I've heard a number of comments about the poor reliability of the Mirka.

Thanks for the suggestions. There are a lot of festool sanders, suggestions as to which? From experience, it needs to be fairly aggressive at first.

any opinions on the MAKITA BO6050J DUAL ACTION sander. Looks like it might do more rough sanding to get rid of scuff and plane marks than the Bosch. The festool and Mirka look to be out of my price bracket (max £250-ish)

go for the Makita.....the tax man paid for my Festool....brill stuff bust oh so expensive for the diy'er.....
just depends how much work u want to do with them.....
my Hitachi / Makita gear has lasted well.....I used to do a lot of high end shop fitting.....
in those days didn't know Festool excisted.....

Thanks, I agree, used several makitas for years, all good solid gear. Will probably go for this.

Latest posts

Back