Optical Illusion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
In line with my recent spate of inane posts, have a looksee at this optical illusion.
Focus on the + sign in the middle nice and hard, and the violet dots around the edge disappear completely, leaving just a green circling dot.

illusion.gif

Weird :shock:

Hi Aragorn

Try as I might I could not get them all to disappear. It was very strange as probably one-third of them vanished.

Cheers
Neil

PS I've booked the eye test.

If this turns out to contain a subliminal message that causes us to send cheques to a Post Office box somewhere in East Sussex, it'll go hard with you, Aragorn... [-X :lol: Works for me, but a) it's dotty (groan), and b) who discovers these things anyway? :? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3jk4zlg9 said:
If this turns out to contain a subliminal message that causes us to send cheques to a Post Office box somewhere in East Sussex, it'll go hard with you, Aragorn...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I can't believe you've seen through my plan so easily 8)
For me, sometimes all the violet dots disappear, and other times just a few of them.
What I find weird is that they can disappear one at a time in random order :shock:

Nice bottle of claret tonight and works for me too............

....... two circles of violet dots, stare at the crosses, one with each eye, and.......... two circles replaced by two circling green dots :roll: :roll:

Back in serious mode, Aragorn, do you know of an explanation? and whether it works with other colours?

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Trev
No explanation that I know of. I'd love to hear one though...!
Perhaps it's something to do with peripheral vision filtering out light frequencies at the ultraviolet end of the spectrum.
:shock: That actually sounds quite technical :wink:

It probably has something to do with a combination of focus and the cones in your retina that deal with colour. The fact the dots are purple (red and blue cones) and green (for the remaining cone cells) is significant I would guess.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Someone on the web has this to say about it

Comment

The temporal presentation enhances the well-known afterimage in complementary colour.

Jeremy Hinton writes: “The illusion illustrates Troxler fading, complementary colours, negative after-effects, and is capable of showing colours outside the display gamut.”

UNQUOTE

So I reckon you are right :lol:

BTW what's with the burglars?

when i look at this with my left eye the purple dots eventually disappear, and green dots does 2 laps then the purple dots come back for laps then go again etc... it's quite entertaining to watch(*)

jim

(*) given that the alternative is cleaning the conservatory roof and moving 2 sofas... :wink:

Which one of the +'s should i look at??? See about 3.
See lots of purple and green "dots".

Ahhh ..... looks just like a can of lager ....

:D :D :D :D :D

Better to push off to bed, safer place, have a 06:30 flight in the morning and we are an hour from airport, which means up at 03:45 .....
:(

Back