Opt out emails and opt out of opt outs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I got an email letting me know i was one of the lucky few invited to respond to a survey from the electric company. It had language in it telling me how important it was and that I would be a representative of a large group of customers.

I clicked at the bottom to opt out of receiving future emails about the survey.

However, the next email let me know that while I opted out of the survey, I hadn't opted out of the emails that ask me to reconsider.

So I opted out of that type.

Today, I got a third email telling me that it's not too late to change my mind about opting out of that type (the second one).

How many layers deep do you think this can go? the emails were clearly worded to let me know in each case that they weren't just a resend of things that I'd opted out of, but rather a reconsideration of the last opt out email.

Feels a little bit like putting two mirrors near each other. I think I counted fifty reflections in one of those one time, or maybe it was 15. None of the emails have allowed me to opt out of all future emails other than billing related items, but I don't think spam law requires that in the US because I am a customer of the electric utility (most of the spam laws have exceptions for current customers or subscribers).

(the emails don't come from the electric company - they come from a market research company contracted by the utility and authorized to use the utility's logo in their correspondence. The third one informed me that they've confirmed receipt of my decision to opt out of the types of email like the third one.

Hmm, this reminds me of the cold telephone calls I ONCE used to get. It goes like this….
Caller-Hello can I interest you…..
Me-I will stop you there. Can I have your name, and company address please?
Caller-Er, why?
Me-Well I need to know where to send my invoice.
Caller- What invoice?
Me- Mine, I need to inform you that my personal hourly rate is a very reasonable £150ph, that is my charge, if you accept this then give me a couple of minutes to get comfy because I will listen to you all day.
Caller- What?
Me-My question is now do you have the authority to accept this billing and can you make a note on my record that any calls to this number will be charged and I will pursue them through the small claims court in the event of non-payment. Perhaps you can get your duty manager to confirm that the charges are accepted?
Caller- Normally goes dead.

My point is, that you can charge for your most precious asset, your life. Email, telephone calls etc, you have the right. Now just wait for that call…..

And now you have imposed these spam emails on us too! :)

This message is to confirm that you have received notice of the opt outs. You may opt out. If you opt out, we'll confirm that you opted out and then check to see if you'd like to opt out of your opt out.

:)

I thought it was a clever trick to receive the first email notifying me that I could opt back in to the survey. I didn't expect to get the third letting me know that I could change my mind about the second. If I was easier to entertain, I might consider calling them and tying up their survey for a very long time without actually answering anything. Just asking for clarification saying that I know I can opt back in from the first opt out now but I'm not sure if It's Ok for me to answer survey questions because they never sent me an email that went all the way back to the first opt out.

Back