Opinions sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I put this together recently. It's made from birch ply and painted. What do you think?
1.jpg

John

I think that is quite an elegant piece John, it shows that you dont have to rely upon expensive and reletively difficult to obtain hardwood to make nice furniture. I like the cleanliness of the painted piece.

The fitting of the top to the base would, to my mind, be nicer if the fixtures were not visible but that is a trivial issue.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Graham, you are right about the fixings, I do need to come up with a better method. Perhaps I could make the mating surface thicker, perhaps two lays, and conceal one of those spiky nuts between the firsat and second layer. I will have a think about it.
James, I personally don't care for pine and it can cause problems with resin building up on cutters etc. It probably wouldn't cost a lot more to use American ash instead of pine, and the value would be much higher, pine being quite common at the moment. After I've tested the market with this stuff I might well do one in hardwood if the painted birch ply is not popular enough

John

Hi John,

Just seen your recent project and very nice to, 10 out of 10 for that :D, not always easy getting a good finish with paint, but it looks good to me. We need a few more photos like these showing members work. Look forward to seeing more of your work John.

I will put some up of the new kitchen that I am putting in when finished, when ever that will be, work always seems to get in the way :cry: .

Ian.

HI Just seen your project, Excellent bit of work,although i am another one who does not like the colour. Still a good bit of work though.

Is it from a pattern, or did you make the design.

re the fittings showing. Is the wood of sufficient depth for you to sink the fittings slightly, and put a wooden plug in the hole.Alternately, why not glue another bit of birch ply on the top of the side piece, and round the edges to give it a smooth look.Both would hide the fittings,although both would make it difficult to get to them if you ever wanted to take the top off.

Just a couple of thoughts

cheers

john

John,

The way I thought about hiding the fittings would be to incorporate the desk top as part of the top shelf unit and then this could be dropped onto the bottom unit with screws or fastenings from inside the drawer box.

So, the desktop is actually the shelf's bottom instead of the bottom's top :?

I really hope that you understand that. It might well have been what you were alluding to you in your post but I am too dimwitted to figure it out :oops:

I really think it is quite refreshing to have a painted piece of furniture, I appreciate the attractiveness of wood grain and figuring as much as the next man but a good painted finish can often deliver something a bit different.

Pine is far too much of a cliche and the colour and grain of ash could really take away from the simple clean lines of the piece, especially as you have used long elegent curves in the design.

John
Nice piece, what paint did you use?,
I have found that emulsion coverd with a clear mat varnish works quite well, but then i have 3 teenagers so it has to be tuff.
Mick

VERY nice piece! You going to publish the plans etc.?
I am a grain man, so not really into paint.
I prefer if painting to use Supawood, however the lifetime is not that great and boy warch out for water!
:D

John,

Had any response from the buying public regarding your cabinet? I would be interested to hear if folks are interested in the painted finish.

Back