Opinions about my workshop situation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhill97

Established Member
Reaction score
hi my workshop currently is a 20ft by 8ft shipping container boarded out with just osb. my tool collection is just bench top machines however when it comes up to summer and i finish my uni course i want to start to make furniture full time. im looking at upgrading my table saw to the axi aw10 and also buying a 12 inch surfacer and thicknesser combi machine although im not sure which yet. However my problem is that my current workshop isnt insulated thus meaning i cant glue anything as it is far too cold which means packing everything in the car and driving home, letting it get to temperature then gluing which is a massive pain.

Ive worked out it will cost around £600 to fully insulate however my question is, is this small space going to be enough to house all my machines etc so basically will it be worth insulating or am i better off looking for a bigger workshop and bothering about making that right.

any help will be apprecaited.

I wouldn't rush to get those machines in single phase ...
It sounds to me like your serious and that sounds too small for you.
If you find a nice place but your power supply is weak, it might be better to look for second hand
3 phase dual voltage machines, look for 220/240V on motor plate...prob about a third of the price of a new one,
and you can have adjustable ramped starting ,easier running and use a 13a plug while your at it .
Look at the starting voltage spike of that machine with a single phase motor ...
I have been running a 24" bandsaw with a 13a plug ...beefy wires from plug, going to the breaker in the house is a
nice thing to know with any machine .
Look up Bob Minchin induction motors PDF .
Now I can have the option of loads of machines, and more importantly have a dust collection system that will
work properly ..not some junk with a bag what you see most of the time ...

8ft wide is a right pain handling large sheets and decent lengths of timber. I would not be spending money on that space if I had a bigger alternative. Especially when accommodating proper dust extraction as well as the machinery and timber stocks. Height in containers is also usually an issue as there is not a lot above bench top.

I have about 200 sq ft in two sheds, with a few machines, but not as many as I would want for a professional workshop. It is OK (just) as a hobby workshop, but to do it for a living, where workflow, productivity and timber and WIP storage are in play, I think it would be much too small.

Mine is 16x10 and it's a right pain at times not having enough space for some operations but i manage-just. If you want to work in there full time, put the £600 toward a bigger space, because if you don't, you will regret it later. You need plenty of space to work and assemble. In a bigger space, you can have machines set up and ready to use, whereas in mine i have to wheel stuff around. I can get away with it because my workload is small and undemanding, but if i working in there full time, it would soon wear thin.

Ok thanks everyone for the replies, will keep an eye out now for a space that doesn't want too much doing to it or. insulation and electrics etc

Which me luck

You might have to make compromises ...
That's why I was suggesting three phase machines ...
If 3 seconds is too much strain on your supply, to start your machines ....
up it to 6 seconds etc :D
Unless you have or plan to have staff working for you ,use VFD's and selected three phase machinery

Ttrees":2enm9656 said:
You might have to make compromises ...
That's why I was suggesting three phase machines ...
If 3 seconds is too much strain on your supply, to start your machines ....
up it to 6 seconds etc :D
Unless you have or plan to have staff working for you ,use VFD's and selected three phase machinery

I will have to have a read up about all of this as electrics and 3 phase etc mean nothing to me but thanks alot

Cameronhill97":r2774xma said:
i want to start to make furniture full time

Easy to say, but I wonder if you understand what that entails?

I'm a full time furniture maker and I know lots of other full time bespoke furniture makers. It's a wonderful occupation, satisfying and fulfilling...provided you don't really need a reliable income. But if you're burdened with obligations, overheads, or a bank loan then I guarantee you won't remain a furniture maker for long. You'll move into joinery, kitchens, yacht fit outs, upholstery, shopfitting, teaching woodwork, or something else that's capable of paying bills. That, or you'll go under.

custard":1gftdkuj said:
Cameronhill97":1gftdkuj said:
i want to start to make furniture full time

Easy to say, but I wonder if you understand what that entails?

I'm a full time furniture maker and I know lots of other full time bespoke furniture makers. It's a wonderful occupation, satisfying and fulfilling...provided you don't really need a reliable income. But if you're burdened with obligations, overheads, or a bank loan then I guarantee you won't remain a furniture maker for long. You'll move into joinery, kitchens, yacht fit outs, upholstery, shopfitting, teaching woodwork, or something else that's capable of paying bills. That, or you'll go under.

I have other sources of income that will keep me going, also if a job was to come up that was say ship fitting or a kitchen I wouldn't turn it down if I needed the money but thanks

Cameronhill97":1lu1pndq said:
I have other sources of income that will keep me going

For an independent bespoke furniture maker, that's the most important qualification of all!

Good luck!

Back