opening a DWG file

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a free and easy to use program to open a dwg file?
I don't want to make any changes, just view the drawing.

If you could supply the file I think I can open it in illustrator and convert it to a different file format. Not sure if that would help?

Autodesk trueview is Autodesk free DWG viewer.

It lets you open DWGs and has measuring tools etc. And will let you print etc.

The next step up is Autodesk design review which is similar but also allows you to make comments etc if you need to communicate issues etc. Also useful as it stores any measurements you make on the drawing for reference later. You will need trueview installed for design review to open DWGs.

Both free both very easy to use. Just Google them and download from Autodesk.

The online viewer is okay aswell but it's less intuitive I find.

Hope it helps.

Can anyone suggest a free and easy to use program to open a dwg file?
I don't want to make any changes, just view the drawing.
Autodesk Fusion 360 is free for students/hobbyists - you should be able to work out how to view/print easily enough.

I use Qcad for most of my 2D drawings, a good program and worth learning.

DWG is the proprietary format for AutoCAD drawings, as they were really the first it simply means drawing. DXF is an open format created by Autodesk but used by most other software, think of it as the drawing equivalent to a pdf. Qcad is free so worth trying to see if it will open your DWG file other wise you need someone with Autocad to open and save as a DXF.

I should have clarified in my post.

My real job is Civil3D modelling I literally spend my life telling people to install trueview. It is exactly what the OP has asked for.

QCAD etc are all perfectly valid bits of software but that's introducing extra complexity that isn't required here.

Last edited:
Back