Open workshop / charity day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.
This is just a provisional post to see if anyone might be interested in an idea that I have been thinking about for a while.
I work from a rural workshop on the Leicestershire/Northamptonshire border, and was wondering if anyone would be up for an open weekend. I was looking at some time in June as this month doesn't seem to clash to much with other events, or holiday periods.
The main reason I was thinking of hosting this event was to raise some money for Macmillan Cancer Support. As an unashamed collector of 18th century tools (yes I did just admit to being a collector :) ), I often end up with a surplus amount of other tools that I ether sell or more likely give away to fellow woodworkers. I would like to pass these tools onto other members of this forum to use in there many projects, and rather than trying to sell them I thought it would be better for people to give an anonymous donation to charity for anything they might find useful. As well as this, running a small joinery, and cabinet business generates a lot of offcuts, so a selection of timber, and sheet material may be up for grabs as well. The open weekend would also be a great opportunity for people to meet up, and have a good chat. To encourage folks along I am happy to set a couple of benches up for people to try out some tools that they may not have had the opportunity of using before, such as infill planes and molding planes I was thinking of making it a two day event to give as many people a chance of attending as possible. I could do any weekending in June. Has anyone got any preferences?
I don't want to open this event up to too wide an audience so it will only be advertised here, with the possibility of mentioning it to folks in the tools and trades history society as well
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
Cheers, Richard

Great idea, however I'm over 230 miles from you and that's a shame because I would have been very interested in some offcuts, plus it's a great charity your supporting.

Baldhead

It's a long way from Bristol but it does sound a wonderful day out. And a very generous idea. Well worth supporting!

sounds like a great idea

i am 3 hours away
i guess i could pick people up on the way :D

Steve

SteveF":4i7yc7h8 said:
sounds like a great idea

i am 3 hours away
i guess i could pick people up on the way :D

Steve
Nice of you to offer to collect Baldhead on the way :mrgreen:

I'd be up for it, near Grantham so not far away, you could consider having a charity auction for some of your stuff.

Andy

I'm very excited about this, having only just read it!
I have been lucky enough to meet Richard before, at a Mac Timbers open day. A nicer, more helpful man you could not find.
And some of the tools he has :shock: :shock:
If it happens Richard, I'd love to come along. I think it's a noble idea to help out a fine charity too.
I might even have finished the panel gauge by then!

All the best.
Adam.

Too far for me I'm afraid but, as my late father-in-law had a Macmillan nurse during his last few months fighting C, I know what a magnificent job they do. I wish you the best and hope it is a big success =D> =D>

That sounds like a great idea, count me in as well.

I might even dig out some of my spare tools to add to the pile if thats o/k

Pete

I am certainly up for a visit, depending on the date of course. And you are not too far away either. I would prefer the Sunday so a weekend event is perfect.

Well it sounds like this might be worth doing so all we need to do now is to set a date in June. Does anyone know if it would clash with anything else in that month?
thank you for the offer of other spare tools Pete. they would be greatly appreciated.
I will also be contacting Mike Cawthorne of MAC timbers to see if he would be interested in opening up on the same weekend as his workshop is not far away and this would give people another good reason for traveling. I appreciate that it is a long way for some people to come, but at least we are as near the center of the country as we could be :)
Another incentive is that Kate has offered to provide free tea, coffee, and cakes on both days, and there is also a pub in the village for those that require other forms of refreshment :D
Cheers Richard

Back