Open for Business

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop is up and running and i will be starting my first commission a week on Monday.

In the end i did go for 3 phase which was installed yesterday at a cost of £1,700. Yes i know it was a fair chunk of money but as the machines i wanted were 3 phase i had no other choice.

I must say that my old boss (the company i have just left) surprised me by placing an order for 40 kitchen cabinet doors in oak, and he said that he will put other work my way if he can. Very nice of him i thought especially when you think that i am in the same line of business as him.
This along with the commissions i have received will keep me going for a while.

Cheers

Woody

Good on ya Woody.....don't suppose you have any pics of your fancy new machines and workshop do you?

SimonA

40 doors, quite a big kitchen. I trust you are getting a good price on the doors. Are they supplying the oak?
Let's hope the work flows in nicely, it can be a drag if you have to spend too much time trying to get work instead of doing it (and getting paid for it, of course)
Good thinking on the 3phase, you made the right choice there
John

Congrats, Woody. Sounds like you're off to a good start. I assume your ex-employer is really good about paying his suppliers promptly... :? (I know, I know; cynic is my middle name. :oops: )

Cheers, Alf

Great start Woody - all the very best. (Good decision on the 3 phase, you will save the installation price through the lower cost, the higher quality of second hand industrial machinery, the accuracy it gives you and the time saved).

Well done Woody. I thought the 3 phase might cost a bit :shock:

I have to say that I agree with Chris on this, for industrial use, 3 phase will definitely work out as the right choice if you can stand the cost of installation.

Good luck with the venture although with orders of that magnitude, you won't be needing luck :wink:

Many thanks for your kind words. It really feels good to be my own boss. But there again if i am honest SWMBO has always been the boss and she rules with an iron fist.

Simon, i will certainly take some pictures when i get a camera. Correct me if i am wrong but don't i need a digital one as apposed to a 35mm? Do i then up load them direct to one of my posts or to the gallery?, or do i need something else to get them onto the site?

While on the subject of pictures, i want to put a portfolio of my past work together to show future clients. Could i do this using a digital camera or would it be better to use a 35mm?

John wrote:
40 doors, quite a big kitchen.

No John these are for two different kitchens.

John wrote:
I trust you are getting a good price on the doors. Are they supplying the ?

Yes i am getting a good price. No favours here, as a new company i cannot afford it.
They are supplying the oak. He sent over some nice quarter sawn with with lovely rays. I hope that there is a bit left over.

Alf wrote:
I assume your ex-employer is really good about paying his suppliers promptly.

I am sure he is Alf. He's been in business for 30 years. If he isn't i will soon find out.

Chris wrote:
Good decision on the 3 phase, you will save the installation price through the lower cost, the higher quality of second hand industrial machinery, the accuracy it gives you and the time saved.

Chris i agree. Having used this type of machine for a good few years now i have found them to be very good, and as long as they are looked after they take anything you throw at it. This is vital when if i am to succeed.

Once again many thanks.

Woody

Woody, congrats and good luck from me, too :).

As for the picture questions, digital is much easier and somewhat cheaper in that you simply transfer the pictures from the camera to your computer, then post them to your website.

You can do the same thing using traditional 35mm but you pay for the picutres to be developed and printed, and then need another way to digitize them for the computer, usually via a scanner. Unless you have a great many old photos you want to store digitally, a scanner is of limited value.

Woody, all the very best mate, takes a lot of balls to go that route.
:D :D :D
Let her carry on thinking she is the boss, saves a lot of hassles! :D :D

Woody,

You can use pictures from a digital camera to do a portfolio. You will need a printer that can do the pictures justice, but you can produce everything in house and you don't have to have 100's printed at a time. Thus you can keep it up to date when a new show job comes along. :D

Good luck with this venture. 8)

I will have to get a digital camera. I have been reading about them and apparently if the camera has a LCD screen you can just delete the picture if it is not up to scratch. Thats well smart, because how many times have you come home with an ordinary camera only to find that the special shots you thought you had of your holiday turn out to be a load of rubbish. This way if the pic is no good you can just take it again.

Thanks for your help

Woody

Woody,

The other thing to remember is that with a digital camera is cost nothing to take the picture. Memory cards are cheap and you just keep reusing them. :D
You can take 20 or 30 pictures where you would only have taken 5 or 6 on film. When you get home you can review all of them, discarding the oops ones, using the David Bailey ones straight away but keeping all of the rest incase that angle is needed some time latter. 8)

Back