Open Cut List for Sketch Up - Incredibly Useful!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
If anyone's using SU and hasn't downloaded Open Cut List (by L'Air du Bois) then it's one of the most incredibly useful add-ons I've ever seen. A few clicks and it'll build a cutting list by material showing you the optimal use of your stock. I've attached a screenshot below of how it planned out my workbench.

Now, one thing I've found to be a problem is that it thinks some of my components aren't exactly 18mm thick and I have no idea why, so I'm left with maybe 10 parts that I'd need to cut out of another sheet, but saying that it's hardly an issue!

You can specify what sizes each material comes in, and the kerf of the saw being used to cut it.

2020-11-22.png

Yes, https://www.cutlistoptimizer.com/ too. The only thing I don't like about Open Cutlist is that you can either sum over length OR width not both.

I'd check your panel thicknesses then. OCL will only use the dimensions of your parts.

I got fed up with sketchup and trying t size the panels properly so I wrote a little script so I could just bang in the numbers.

Just start drawing a line in the direction you want then type in the value and press enter?

I have an "Add panel" button on the toolbar, I just click it and enter the thickness, width and height - it gives me a panel of those dimensions. eg 18mm thick 800mm x 500mm panel. I don't do the draw a rectangle and fart about push/pull resize any more. It's easier for me since I had a stroke at the beginning of October and with it came a the loss of some fine control in my left hand and being left handed it got a bit frustrating and it's really easy to generate panels this way - at least for me - I understand the original process isn't hard for most people.

Ah fantastic I’m always looking for handy things like this. Especially anything to help rip an 8 x 4 sheet the most efficient way.

I do imagine it means I will have to start building models “properly” though. Creating components etc

I do imagine it means I will have to start building models “properly” though. Creating components etc

I've just got the hang of components now and find that it's just becoming natural to ensure it's done for each shape. Cant imagine not doing it now!

Latest posts

Back