open cladding on workshop walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom68

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all.. if i go with mikeg's way of building my workshop but want to use some kind of open cladding instead of the feather edge boards.. do i need to put some kind of membrane immediately behind this cladding?

thanks.

No. The membrane should be on the outside of the timber framing. In a sense feather edge board is "open cladding" in that it inevitably lets some water in. The design philosophy is to make sure it has an easy way out again, can't pool anywhere, and that air circulation between the cladding and the membrane will dry off any moisture that gets in.

good evening mike.. so leaving gaps between the cladding is fine.. thanks once again :)

not sure yet.. would it make a difference?

i think verticle would actually look quite nice..

Yes. If vertical, you'll need horizontal battens, but that produces a series of ledges, so you need to separate those horizontal battens from the structure of the building by placing them on top of vertical counterbattens. In other words, your cladding will be 25mm further out , and thus your building will be bigger.

MikeG.":2vmsb3o1 said:
Yes. If vertical, you'll need horizontal battens, but that produces a series of ledges, so you need to separate those horizontal battens from the structure of the building by placing them on top of vertical counterbattens. In other words, your cladding will be 25mm further out , and thus your building will be bigger.

I sometimes try and get away without counterbattens by instead using 10mm or 5mm plastic shims to keep the battens off the wall. I reckon this still allows air/water/vapour to circulate behind the battens but saves half an inch or so, which can be valuable in some situations e.g. matching to existing profiles.

Cheers, W2S

ahh i see.. thanks for replies.. verticle cladding isnt an essential so il think on this one..

dom.

Back