Ooops!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't tell Mike Garnham :wink:

wind%20turbine%20fire.jpg

A rare event, the wind turbine industry would have us believe.

Not so, according to this website

http://www.windbyte.co.uk/safety.html

For something like that amount of FAILURES, and their still banging on that wind turbines are good and we need more. If this had happened in the air/car industry there would be a total shut down.

studders":76vwc69y said:
Dreadful scar on the landscape, and at sea, plus (apparently) not very efficient?

Well if you really want to know just how inefficient they can be then take a look at this one here which at 17% average is pretty impressive. Well, of course it is, sited alongside the M4 at Reading...that well-known area of high wind. In fact, a little known fact but it needs to USE electricity on days when there is no wind to stop the bearings seizing up.

So a technology that uses electricity when there is not enough wind and has to be turned off when there is too much wind....

And if you want to know on any given day hw much is being generated by wind then you can see it here although it can take a while to load

cambournepete":a9m61m8s said:
Not sure I'd take too much notice of a website dedicated to the problems of a system.
You're not going to get any balance there...

In general I'd agree with you, Pete, but details regarding turbine failures are indisputable, surely, and verifiable?

Like here which claims to be based on definitive data.

Or this extract from an IEEE survey into reliability and failure

ABSTRACT

The wind power industry has expanded greatly during the past few years, has served a growing market, and has spawned the development of larger wind turbines. Different designs and technical advances now make it possible to erect wind turbines offshore. The fast expansion of the wind power market faces some problems. The new designs are not always fully tested, and the designed 20-year lifetime is typically never achieved before the next generation of turbines are erected. This paper presents results from an investigation of failure statistics from four sources, i.e., two separate sources from Sweden, one from Finland, and one from Germany. Statistics reveal reliability performance of the different components within the wind turbine. The gearbox is the most critical, because downtime per failure is high compared to the other components. The statistical data for larger turbines also show trends toward higher, ever-increasing failure frequency when compared to small turbines, which have a decreasing failure rate over the operational years

And then there is this academic paper.

Strewth..I didn't realise just how unreliable the damn things are!

Again a site from an anti- group...

I'm not surprised the number of accidents increases - there are more and more turbines so the numbers are almost bound to go up.
I think including accidents involving the transportation and construction of the turbines is also a little false. OK, they wouldn't have happened without the turbines, but it not a problem with turbines per se. There is risk with any large engineering project.

They may not be perfect, but if we want more and more energy then we have to get it from somewhere, and I don't think nuclear in it's present form can ever be the right answer.

Pete, I've edited the post to add two more reports from unbiased sources and the results are not related to the numbers but to the technology.

cambournepete":1aetk6x9 said:
As for the aesthetics - I actually quite like them!

Yes, I know what you mean. There is a sort of simple elegance of line. I much prefer ours with concrete towers as opposed to these in Spain.

146492937_iN6Ma-XL-1.jpg

TOO WINDY FOR A WIND TURBINE! :shock: I assumed thats what they were made for.....wind! If they can't handle high winds what use are they? :roll:

Latest posts

Back