OOooops - help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to refinish daughter's dining table with Danish oil while they are in Spain. Put the tin down on their slate hearth without realising some oil had run down the side of the tin. Now the hearth sports a nicely polymerised imprint of the tin which I need to remove. Any suggestions - have only tried white spirit so far, with no joy.

Thanks - rushed over this morning and tried that out. Marks disappeared completely..................................

........... while the surface was still wet. Once it dried out, they were even more visible than before!

HELP.

Sorry Dick, I'm pretty much out of practical ideas. It'll be well on the way to curing now so detergent won't work, but thinners on a fire hearth doesn't sound a good idea. Maybe oil the entire hearth? I had a slate hearth fitted and I seem to recall that was oiled.

If worst comes to worst, ou could try using a diamond stone to polish out or some cerium oxide on a mdf board stuck to a ROS

If the oil were non-drying, or at least not fully cured, I might try spreading some wood ash over it an leaving it a bit. Sort of like you'd use the stuff for soaking up oil spills on a driveway. Then wood ash as a paste with water spread on - the potassium oxide forms potassium hydroxide, which saponifies the oil so it can be washed away. Solvents might be worth a try, but yes, make sure it has all gone before you light up !

But if it has soaked in and cured, you might end up oiling the lot; it is pretty normal with slate. I use Stovax slate dressing oil, though it turns it very dark black.

Well that's a new word learned Sheffield Tony. Last year I installed slate worktops for a friend and it looks lovely oiled up, for the hearth Danish would be fine.

Sheffield Tony":2mirhjsh said:
But if it has soaked in and cured, you might end up oiling the lot; it is pretty normal with slate.

I was going to suggest the same, oil the whole thing.

Gotta say. Think you're all missing the point here. Mistakes were made. No one important need know. The vital thing here is saving the corporate image of Dad(Reg. Charitable Co. 97463528)
Slosh a load of gear on it whether it's BLO or a slate finish from Topps Tiles etc. Sit down with a pint, a paper and the footie, cricket, radio 4 of your choice on but keep the old lugs peeled back. You're looking Ninja at rest here. As soon as the car pulls up on the drive it's on your knees, splash a bit of water on your brow and do your best impression of an extra from Bridge over the River Kwai. 'Look my love' you say weakly. 'I've spent the whole day polishing up the old fireplace for you. Any chance of a beer and a bite to eat I'm tuckered out here.'

Job's a good un.

Back