Oooh errr missus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
Well that was careless. Forgot to turn the lathe by hand to make sure the rest was clearing the workpiece and got a jam. Switched it off as quickly as possible. Next time I switched it on though, it tripped the RCD.

Need to strip it now to see what damage I did.

Bums!

I think we are all guilty of doing that well maybe without the damage it may have done hope it's not a lot damage or expensive to fix

Not sure what lathe or set up you have. But some of the switch boxes have there own trip inside. Quite often it's a small red button that needs pushing in.

All done & dusted. When I picked the lathe up the wiring to the NVR was ancient, so I replaced it. I tested the motor windings & everything was fine. Tested the kopex flex from the NVR to the motor & it had a neutral to earth fault. So, I'm thinking perhaps the fault was there and the overload when I jammed it caused the flex to heat up and short out.
Replaced it with a nice bit of TRS originally destined for a lift shaft, and Robert is your Mother's Brother so to speak.

That's an easy mistake to make and should be fairly easy to repair I would think.
When I first started turning I bought a second hand Clarke lathe off of eBay, one day I was doing something I forget what exactly but I was using the indexing feature to mark something out, well I finished marking then when in the house for tea and family time. Next day I came our full of ambition and eagerness, mounted a fresh blank and turned the lathe on, max speed I might add. Well you can guess what happened next, the large made a funny clunk followed by a click click noise, then span as normal. By the time I had stopped the machine it had literally taken every one of the plastic index notches out.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Back