Online traditional door information?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Is there a resource online for traditional English doors? I'm thinking simple plank and batten cottage doors and the like. I'd like to see some historical examples, kind of in the vein of The Village Carpenter.

Any suggestions?

I could PM you some photos of relevant pages out of a few books I've got if you would like. I wouldn't want to put them on the open forum with a couple being still printed.

El Barto":3f623hw9 said:
.....I'm thinking simple plank and batten cottage doors and the like.......

I'm making some at the moment, although they're known as boarded and ledged doors in this neck of the woods. This is a nice little oversight, but it doesn't go into much detail. For detail I rather like Cecil Hewitt's classic "English Historic Carpentry".

MikeG.":37ncrf47 said:
El Barto":37ncrf47 said:
.....I'm thinking simple plank and batten cottage doors and the like.......

I'm making some at the moment, although they're known as boarded and ledged doors in this neck of the woods. This is a nice little oversight, but it doesn't go into much detail. For detail I rather like Cecil Hewitt's classic "English Historic Carpentry".

Good to know! I didn't actually know what to refer to them as.

Thanks for all the info though guys. Trevanion - if you wouldn't mind that would be great. Only if it's not too much effort!

And Andy, didn't even think of the reference sticky, cheers!

El Barto":rq0084oe said:
.......Good to know! I didn't actually know what to refer to them as. .....

They're board and batten doors in some parts of the country. I've heard them called that in Staffordshire, for instance.

Very good links Mike. Thanks.

I am a bit obsessed with doors. I take photos of good old ones everywhere I go. It is well worth visiting old buildings (Igtham Mote near Sevenoaks has some great old doors) and places like the Weald and Downland Museum (which has many examples through the ages in many styles).

They are simple to make - as long as you can find really good oak or elm or chestnut nice wide and thick planks, it takes longer to hang one than to make it. It is well worth seeking and paying the extra for nicely forged, heavy duty ironmongery. Makes a big difference to the door.

El Barto":2sq0hxvl said:
The building conservation page you shared is brilliant.

Looks like I have some more books to buy as well...

The Cecil Hewitt book is staggeringly good, but is in short supply. I've seen it on sale for upwards of £900 at times in hardback. If you ever see it for less than £40 or £50, snap it up.

AJB Temple":61w6zz0o said:
........I am a bit obsessed with doors. I take photos of good old ones everywhere I go. .....

Me too! Rooves and doors. My wife buys me old door photos for birthdays etc. Whilst I love old English doors, the back streets of run down old villages in France, Spain and Portugal produce some amazing finds......but until you've seen Dogon doors from the Bandiagara escarpment in Mali you haven't really seen any doors at all.

I like seeing wooden armed road signs. They were pretty back then.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Doormaking and Window-Making by lost art press is a good book on it, that's my main reference.

MikeG.":38d5b3pe said:
The Cecil Hewitt book is staggeringly good, but is in short supply. I've seen it on sale for upwards of £900 at times in hardback. If you ever see it for less than £40 or £50, snap it up.

Thanks for tip, just bought a copy from abebooks for £22.80 with post, (they have more copies). I love these types of books.

I've sent you a PM with the pictures of what I could scrounge out of my books.

If anyone else is interested in having a look, let me know :).

Sam R":1a2k5i01 said:
MikeG.":1a2k5i01 said:

Thanks for tip, just bought a copy from abebooks for £22.80 with post, (they have more copies). I love these types of books.

I'll bet that's the paperback version. Still a wonderful book, but you'll have to look after it a bit more. Check out the section on scarf joints......makes me weep with joy.

I bought that book too. I buy everything I can lay my hands on about timber framing and old English furniture making. Thanks for the input Mike - I am surprised I have not seen that book before.

MikeG.":3etu361s said:
I'll bet that's the paperback version. Still a wonderful book, but you'll have to look after it a bit more. Check out the section of scarf joints...

Hardcover according to my receipt, but I won't be too upset if paper. It's the content that I'm after! You might find Wood by William Hall (no sniggering at the back) published by Phaidon interesting for modern timber architecture. Just photos & short descriptions.

I also bought a copy of English Historic Carpentry, Mike doesn't recommend many things so when he does you should listen! :lol:

Ukworkshop is about to drive up the price of the book significantly!

Back