Online bookstore with next day delivery?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess that's a no then :).

Had to go with Amazon again. Ordered yesterday an item available for immediate dispatch, then had an e-mail saying it would be sent out 1st December (2 days later) for delivery up to a futher 2 days later. What's happened to them? In the good old days you used to get in stock items next day.

Cheers

Gidon

Sorry gidon... I didn't reply because the delivery to me in Ireland takes days from all of the booksellers! Have you tried BookBrain? I usually use this to find the best deals - in terms of the sellers on there, I've ordered from Amazon (obviously...), WHSmith, Countrybookstore & Blackwells - I don't think I've had a bad experience with any of them, but I don't know about next-day delivery.

NeilCFD

Hmm, I ordered 3 books from amazon yesterday evening - the web page said despatch on 3rd December...

Got an e-mail this morning saying it's been despatched already. And this is all based on the 'super saver 3-5 business days' delivery option, not the next day delivery option.

And when I get home, I have no doubt that they've tried to deliver today, and failed cos there's no-one there (although that speediness is only cos I live about 15 miles from the main amazon despatch centre!)

I take for granted now that if you have selected the "3-5 day super saver" option, Amazon hold back you order a day or two before despatching.

Gidon - which delivery level are you choosing? Super saver or the more expensive one?

Adam

asleitch":2h601mf4 said:
I take for granted now that if you have selected the "3-5 day super saver" option, Amazon hold back you order a day or two before despatching.

Well, obviously not the case, since my order was despatched less than 24 hours after order, on the super-saver delivery option

Thanks chaps. Never seen bookbrain before - handy link.

It appears none of the online companies offer next day delivery - all seem to be at least 2-3 days + (I phoned a couple up yesterday). I would happily pay more for a guaranteed next day delivery (since these are all orders for work and work pays.) Adam - yes I always choose the fast (payed for) option for work related books, but don't find it makes any difference!

ES - strange - maybe it does depend on where you live - well especially in your case :)? Tony - unfortunately this is all year round I get this now.

Cheers

Gidon

The speediness I get is between despatch and arrival of the order - I've certainly experienced having a 'its been despatched' e-mail at 08:00, and the delivery person knock on the door at 10:00 on more than one occasion!

The time between order and despatch always seems pretty consistant, and should have nothing to do with where I live - the only delays have been on items that amazon warn could be more than 24 hours before despatch

It's strange how these things work...

Bearing in mind that delivery to here is never all that fast, the best I've seen was Axminster at 36 hours; Amazon can be a bit twitchy with their availability, but typically 48-72 hours is their average. I've just ordered from their US site, dispached yesterday so it'll be interesting to see when they get here...

Mike - I tend to only use their US site now. Prices for non book items are much better and delivery to CZ seems equal or better than ordering from Amazon UK. Prices for books are slightly better than UK although sometimes there's not much in it.

Losos, I tend to agree with you; their available range on the UK site is pathetic when compared with the US site. In this last instance of mine, the books just weren't available here. That, coupled with the buying power of the £ right now makes buying direct from the US a viable option.

Midnight":2srce324 said:
Losos, I tend to agree with you; their available range on the UK site is pathetic when compared with the US site. In this last instance of mine, the books just weren't available here. That, coupled with the buying power of the £ right now makes buying direct from the US a viable option.

Hi Midnight

Last time I tried to order from Amazon USA, they wouldn't accept a UK order :cry:

Is this changed now?

and the proof of the pudding...ok, not quite next day...but order placed 16 o'clock monday, arrived today, lunchtime. On the super-saver free delivery.

Esp, now proud owner of:
The techniques of furniture making - Ernest Joyce
The workshop book - Scott Landis
The Toolbox book - Jim Tolpin

and now planning on making a Greg Radley rip-off tool cabinet, on the basis that Studley's is beyond my abilities!

Thanks Chris.

Tony they let you buy books from Amazon.com - but not tools unfortunately.

Well amazingly after telling me it should be dispatched today it arrived by parcelforce(!) first thing this morning. Day after next is the best I've had from them for a while. Maybe they read the forum :). Interesting though ES - not sure what difference super-saver delivery makes - since we both ordered Monday and got delivery today. Maybe it depends how busy they are.

Cheers

Gidon

Last time I tried to order from Amazon USA, they wouldn't accept a UK order

Is this changed now?

this is the ummmmmmmmmm........ 7th time.??... something like that anyway.. all orders have either been books or CD's.. never had a prob Tony... loadsa frustration though..... all of them realllllll nice tools.... each and every one saying " Item not available for export outside of the US"...

Latest posts

Back