Oneida Super Dust Deputy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
Can i please ask advice for the Oneida Cyclone.

I have a small cheap cyclone used with my Lidl shop vac and it works brilliantly...separates 100% and at only £13.99 it was a bargain.

Now i can see how well the principle works, i'm considering the Super dust deputy.

My extractor is a SIP 3hp...it's ducted right round the shop in 6" spiral, and it has great suction even at the farthest part.

My questions are...

With the Super d/d costing £239.99 for a plastic version...do they separate as well??

The Super d/d is for 1-3hp extractors and there is an XL version at £395 for 3-5hp extractors.
Do any of you use this version, and how does it stack up?

It's big outlay for what is essentially a plastic cone, but if it works well, i'll go for it.

I've looked into making one from Polycarb, but attaching the inlet looks tricky.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Hmmmm seems over priced to me, I use a tool post dustbin lid separator on a 120l plastic drum (£20) and it collects everything but the very fine dust in the drum. I was very surprised at how efficient it is, no loss of suction, I keep the drum outside the shop and run the 100mm tubing through the wall.

Also have a plastic cyclone on my shop vac - dust commander - and very happy with it, but I wouldn't pay that much for a big piece of plastic.

Another option is Thien baffle separator.
I'm working on one to pair up with a 2 HP High Volume Low Pressure fan (5" ducting).
I powered it up for the first time the other day and based on chucking a few shovel fulls of sweepings into the inlet, it takes out over 95% of the debris before they get to the fan. I was pleasantly surprised.
Cost so far is one 8x4 sheet of MRMDF, four castors and a bunch of screws ... I'm hoping that footprint will be economical as I've dismantled the extractor and I'm mounting the fan / motor on top of the Thien collector.

According to some tests I've seen, the Thien baffle is a couple of percent less efficient than a cyclone and drops a few percent more pressure, but it's not that much worse and is so simple and easy to DIY.

ScouseKev":1g40zlje said:
I've looked into making one from Polycarb, but attaching the inlet looks tricky.

I went through a bit of the same thought process (although I only have a 2Hp extractor and 4" hose). In the end I made one and it works perfectly.
I used 2mm polycarbonate to make the cone (I ended up joining the edges with round head machine screws through an additional strip because I couldn't get the glue to hold right - another story).
I built a lid and bottom from plywood with the correct circular groove routed. It then sits on a big plastic bin which has draft excluder around the rim and makes a good seal. I've arranged some clips inside that hold the bag in place.
For the inlet I compromised. Some builds use a straight section before going into the cone, which makes adding a rectangular insert easier. I simply used a manrose ducting 90o bend through the lid and angled to start the spiral. The extractor hose goes to the centre of the lids. All the joins are sealed and smooth with clear silicone.
It operates beautifully - I held a wet sheet in front of the final exhaust from the extractor whilst cleaning up router, table saw, planer and bandsaw - not a mark, even the fine dust is in the bucket.
It's not a thing of huge beauty, but it works well, was fun to make and cost a fraction of the commercial product.

ScouseKev":8uxl4v21 said:
I did try the Thein separator but it decreased the suction by a third.

Anyone with Super dust deputy ??

That's about right.
The cyclone will be a little better but you'll get a similar order of loss with that too - a quarter - maybe more.

I have the $50 bucket top cone from oneida and use it on top of a large trash can. I don't find to be especially good, but maybe it works better with fines and a lower CFM vac.

The other thing that comes to mind with it is that when I was installing it on a plywood top that sits on my garbage can, the plastic cracked easily and I had to glue it. For what is essential a dollar's worth of plastic (i recognize they have development and business overhead), I was pretty unhappy with how brittle it is.

I am mostly a hand tool woodworker, though, and what comes out of my shop is a mix of certain things that were probably never studied by dust collector makers.

I do have one but I can't be much help as its on a shelf awaiting attention as per usual round here. I can tell you it survived our deck crew kicking it around the ship for 6 months and BA baggage handlers at Heathrow. I think a fair amount of the cost is in transportation.

That Bill Pentz site is very good BTW

Deadeye":3ukuse79 said:
ScouseKev":3ukuse79 said:

I went through a bit of the same thought process (although I only have a 2Hp extractor and 4" hose). In the end I made one and it works perfectly.
I used 2mm polycarbonate to make the cone (I ended up joining the edges with round head machine screws through an additional strip because I couldn't get the glue to hold right - another story).
I built a lid and bottom from plywood with the correct circular groove routed. It then sits on a big plastic bin which has draft excluder around the rim and makes a good seal. I've arranged some clips inside that hold the bag in place.
For the inlet I compromised. Some builds use a straight section before going into the cone, which makes adding a rectangular insert easier. I simply used a manrose ducting 90o bend through the lid and angled to start the spiral. The extractor hose goes to the centre of the lids. All the joins are sealed and smooth with clear silicone.
It operates beautifully - I held a wet sheet in front of the final exhaust from the extractor whilst cleaning up router, table saw, planer and bandsaw - not a mark, even the fine dust is in the bucket.
It's not a thing of huge beauty, but it works well, was fun to make and cost a fraction of the commercial product.

hi Deadeye,
Im planning a very similar build myself in the near future. Out of 2mm polycarbonate as well. In fact the whole thing is to be made out of the stuff. Can I ask, did you follow Bill pentz's designs for the shape and size of your cyclone? His spread sheet allows you to put the power rating of the extractor you have and gives you the measurements. I've done this based on a 2hp extractor as well (startrite mde hcs) which im waiting to turn up next week. I've drawn out all of the plans in a format that a colleagues cnc machine will understand and I've cut it out of foamex as test run first to make sure it all fits together, before cutting the 2mm polly.

How is your pollycarbonate holding up? especially the area that the dust and chips enter the cyclone and make first contact with the cone itself?

Its great to hear someone that has had such success with theirs.

Do you have any pics you could share??

Will

Hi Will

My calipers say the PC is 1.8mm and I wouldn't have wanted it thicker - it's tough to bend.
I didn't use Bill's site as I didn't find it until after I'd finished! I modeled it on one of the e-bay cheapies (with 2" piping). Bill's site is very comprehensive but I find it a bit painful to wade through.
The PC is fine - although I'm just a hobbyist so it doesn't get more than a few hours a week.
Some pictures here (but you mustn't point and laugh):
https://ibb.co/cZYe59
https://ibb.co/c7gMJU
https://ibb.co/ipfsQ9

Just started mine with 1.5mm and it will bend to 6" dia without too much problem.

Bought a full sheets 2400 x 1200 from Trent plastics, delivered it was £44.00 which i thought was a good price.

ScouseKev":lz0rjzpj said:
Just started mine with 1.5mm and it will bend to 6" dia without too much problem.

Bought a full sheets 2400 x 1200 from Trent plastics, delivered it was £44.00 which i thought was a good price.

Kev how would you join it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back